What can i use to thin glue?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildsau

Senior Airman
Oct 22, 2019
I need to I make the glue I have more viscous. The ingredients of the glue is methyl ethyl ketone, acetone and cyclohexanone. I'm guessing I could add acetone as that's easy to buy or could I add laquer thinners?

The acetone should be fine. The only thinner that should work , would be the nitrocellulose one used for thinning of the nitrocellulose lacquers. The laquer thinners for modelling and thinning of the model colours won't be worked rather.

I'd prefer to use mek but it's hard to find in small quantities, acetone is easier to get but will it degrade the performance of the glue if I use acetone I'm guessing to dilute with 50% mix.

Hello, Wildesau. Be aware that comercial acetone is diluted with water. That can reduce the drying time of the glue.
Instead you can find already thin glue at different companies. The ones with needle or Mr. Thin cemment from Gunze.

Hello, Wildesau. Be aware that comercial acetone is diluted with water. That can reduce the drying time of the glue.
Instead you can find already thin glue at different companies. The ones with needle or Mr. Thin cemment from Gunze.
Thanks Stosser, I do use Gunze and Tamiya products just experimenting a little with alternatives.

I use MEK to refill Tamils glue bottles. It works well on styrene and ABS (Plastruct). You can thicken it with Testors tube cement. It works well that way if you need it to stay put. If you want it to sneak into joints via capillary action, use it as thin as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back