What country is this BF 109 from? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

João Yazalde

Airman
Apr 25, 2022
This is the camouflage of a BF 109E that appeared in a game that was canceled about 3 years ago. I don't know if it's a camouflage from a fictitious country, because I've never seen a cockade like this. Was there a BF 109 that looked like this?

This is the camouflage of a BF 109E that appeared in a game that was canceled about 3 years ago. I don't know if it's a camouflage from a fictitious country, because I've never seen a cockade like this. Was there a BF 109 that looked like this?
Sweden

Oh, there's also this other camouflage. It's not a BF 109, it's a p 40n, but like the BF, I've never seen his cockade from him. Was it from a client-ally of the United States or was it captured? I did not know that so many countries used BF 109, was it the same with the p 40n?

Sorry, I use google translate and I have to write something quickly, so I tend to forget some detail like links or language.

Last one is Chinese markings used on American Volunteer Group P-40s aka Flying Tigers.
The P-40 is of the Chinese Markings. With the markings the P-40s were used by the First American Volunteer Group (AVG) of the Republic of China Air Force,

Thanks to both

The P-40 is of the Chinese Markings. With the markings the P-40s were used by the First American Volunteer Group (AVG) of the Republic of China Air Force,

Just a note, it is Republic of China markings, but not AVG markings. That particular P-40's markings comes from a Chinese pilot. I can't for the life of me remember the details, but there is an ex-RNZAF P-40 decorated in the same markings, which is commonly mistaken for AVG markings, but strictly speaking are not.

This is the P-40, it has the Flying Tigers logo on it, but the aircraft it is depicting didn't. On the left hand top cowl there is script in Chinese characters in red, as in the drawing.

45286768755_945c277869_b.jpg
P-40 taxi

My bad. I didn't look at the skin closely, only focusing on the Chinese roundel.

No worries, I can't for the life of me remember where the details are, there is a guy here who wrote an article on the history of the P-40's markings but I can't seem to find it. Obvously, there are quite a few people in NZ who want to see this particular P-40 returned to RNZAF markings...

Aha! Found it! This is from a fellow aviation scribe who writes for the same rag as me, Keith Morris:

"I always thought this was the colours of The Flying Tigers (Claire Chennault's 1st American Volunteer Group of fighter pilots who flew Kittyhawks out of Kunming in South Western China in the early days of WW 2), but that is not the case. Some research by a Chinese friend found that ZK-RMH is painted in the colours of Chinese fighter ace Xu Hua Jiang, who was one of the 2 most famous aces in the Nationalist Chinese Air Force in WW 2. This aircraft 88/663/P-11151 was one of 27 P 40E's delivered to China in early 1943. It has an inscription in Chinese characters on the nose which is "Tai Gong Lin" which translates as ""By order of a respected senior person". This phrase goes back in Chinese history to a famous Prime Minister in the Zhou Dynasty (1050 to 256 BC), and illustrates a difference in Chinese verse American thinking. When American pilots told Xu Hua Jiang that they painted the names of their wives or mothers or girlfriends on their aeroplanes, he thought it better to acknowledge Chinese history on his plane."

Are you referring to this p 40? In the game this is the plane used by the flying tigers, although for some reason the cockade was changed from a white sun to a red star. In English this is the description written in Chinese:
"During World War II, according to the Lend-Lease Act, country M provided a large number of P-40 series fighters to foreign countries, and country Z allocated 377 P-40C Kitty Hawk fighters. The aircraft is the main equipment of the Flying Tigers, and also the main fighter of the M country's army in the early and middle stages of the Pacific War. The aircraft is armed with 2 12.7mm machine guns and 4 7.7mm machine guns."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back