What did you want to be when you were younger?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I did not know about your color blindness. That might be a problem in the Air Force, but I'm not sure. I'm impressed you're planning on joining the military, and I applaud and wish you the best of luck. Just keep your options open, and listen to the veterans. Once again, I applaud you on your commitment.

Agree with VZ. Don't know about the Army, but colour blindness will prevent your being accepted for many Air Force trades.

I was always in RA's category - never knew exactly what I want to do. Have a number of lifelong abilities and interests, but in trades that aren't appreciated or considered 'practical' (I'm an artist, with a love of skilled hand crafts, travelling, archaeology, wildlife, and of course aircraft).

Pursued the most logical/ practical of these (a man has to eat), so went for the RNZAF. Finallly got in at 17 as AcMechUT (Aircraft Mechanic Under Training), and was out a year and a half later already, no thanks to the 1992 defence cuts...
... Now, 6 countries and 57 jobs later, very probably about to be laid off from my current job as professional Solderer which, work politics and corruption aside, I have enjoyed alot (been doing it 6 years now).

Dreams are great (and good luck to you with yours!), but if I've learned anything at all in my time, it's that life is what happens when you made other plans... Be adaptable, mate!

Wanted to be a fighter pilot, or a diver. When I found out that 6'5" is probably too big to fly fighters, I was crushed. I also didn't realize that few divers actually earn a living at it.

Que so what, so what.

I once told my Dad, when I was very young, that I wanted to join the army when I got old enough...he was instantly horrified and asked me why I would want to do such a thing. "They beat you", "they shout at you", "they call you all types of nasty things"..."and they make you kill people." My Dads only experience with military life was Japan in the 1930' 40's.:happyhippy:

That'll do it. If I'd been in the Japanese Army, I'd make tracks in any direction but that one! Did time in the Navy, never had anything all that bad happen to me (they did yell at me but they did that when I played football and lacrosse too).

Wanted to be a fighter pilot after seeing "The Battle of Britian" but had my eyes crap out when I was 9 so that wasn't going to happen. So, went into business and went on to learn to fly. Pretty good move. Happy with it.

b-17, make sure it is what you want to do. I am color blind and could not fly for the Marines so I took a commission in the Army. I was in for 14 years and found myself downsized out of my retirement. The military will make you all kinds of promises and not come through. You have to understand that big military machine considers people the same as any other equipment. They buy you new and wear you out. When you get older they will replace you with a newer model. If along the way you get damaged, they may or may not repair you. It is a good life in peace time but read how the soldiers are treated during war and afterwards. My nephew went in the Marines as an MP or what every the Corps calls them. His first tour was in law inforcement training both military and civillian. His second tour is in Hawaii. He way or may not do a 3rd tour. If he gets out, he will join a police dept somewhere. Good luck with your choice.

DBII

I'm 12 so (like the author of the thread) I will say what I want to be.... I want to be a Professional Hunter (PH) in one of the countries in the continent of Africa.:D

Fighter pilot....damn glasses! :lol: Was going to do what a relative to my dad did, join the USN.....

Good luck Harrison! :thumbright:

Last edited:
Back in elementary school my dream was to go to West Point and be a career Army officer. Things changed in HS, wanted to be a fighter pilot like many here, went to college and signed up for Air Force ROTC.

Too much college fraternity life, almost flunked out, had to drop ROTC.

Long story short. Enlisted in the Army National Guard. Only thing I ever "piloted" was an M113. :lol:

TO

This is a good thread for young people...

I gravitated towards the sciences:
marine biology
archeologist
historian
-- all these degrees required more education than i wanted to commit too (less than a doctorate and you're not really a player... and they usually dont make much money)

I wanted adventure:
Fighter pilot
astronaut
--- again the education commitment seemed too long for me

I was always creative so i wanted a 'creative job and the education time was less,

I got a silly BA degree in Mass Com ..I spent 15 years as a Digital Media Expert, animator , editor, camera etc. Now I'm a Project Manager for a very large web marketing company.

My advice: dont be afraid of an education commitment. 6-8 years seems like a long time to prepare for a a goal but it really isnt bad... it's not a chore, it's a part of the journey. I have salad dressing in my fridge that is 6 years old! i wish i set my sights higher as a young man (or i would have got some encouragement).

The grass is always greener but if i got that doctorate in marine biology and a minor in history.. i would be a treasure hunter by now. I have a depth perception problem so pilot is prob out.

With respect to my Army compares... I'd avoid the Army. My father and grandfather were in the army and I'm very glad i joined the airforce instead..

A career as a police officer is freak'n awesome... but consider college loans, a degree in criminal science and other relevant disciplines and go NSA, FBI, CIA, INTERPOL, State Department

Set your sights high... you can always re-adjust them lower!

Last edited:
No laughing you lot but I wanted to be a chef, a slight problem though in the 60's first requirement to go to cooking college was you had to be able to speak french as all chefs only spoke in french and guess what, my school didnt teach it so the careers officer said "Miles you have no chance so here you are, Phone this number,Painter and decorator wanted " .

I hated my education and it shows, I'm not very literate and my numeracy is s**t

I wanted to be a classical trumpet player :lol: No, really!
Made it quite far, played on at high level when I was 18, international tours with the orchestra to Italy, Canada etc. Played them all, Purcell, Handel, Bach, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, you name it.
Then decided that it was a bit tricky trying to earn your money in the music business and wanted a more stable job. I've always been a curious person, so I decided to become a scientist. And the most exciting new science, was molecular biology. So here I am, having a degree in molecular biology, working during the day at a lab, playing music in the evening. But not trumpet any more, quitted the orchestra (temporarely) 2 years ago.

I'm 12 so (like the author of the thread) I will say what I want to be.... I want to be a Professional Hunter (PH) in one of the countries in the continent of Africa.:D

Doesn't really happen anymore. Closest you would get is starting as a ranger on a normal reserve before moving on to a private hunting reserve, this would likely be in Southern Africa (although you should aim at working in the Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania (read up on it - you will love it)). The best place to make the progression is South Africa (did a month of 'rangering' there so have a couple of friends who are working their way though the system (most are in the Kruger now but not at hunting reserves)). You will need the bushcraft that you will get with the ranger training (and the experience) before moving into hunting (it will also give you experience with guests in a number of situations). Then once you qualify you can move on and up through the system. It certainly is a great job if you love the bush and the animals (which I do + the shooting is a bonus), private reserves are where the money is (even more so with hunting) so remember that (wow that was long winded ;)). Can recommend a fair amount of books for you, in and around this area (some fiction, some not).

As for what I want to do, looking like three career paths for me at the moment, all likely in the military in some capacity. First is RAF Pilot, Second is RAF Intelligence Officer with an eye to moving onto MI5/MI6 and third requires doing another degree (Medicine) and then becoming a Doctor either in the services or in public/private sector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back