What Do You Do With Your "Fiddly Bits"?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mr. Ed

Airman 1st Class
Oct 27, 2009
I'm working on 4 models right now: a B-26 Marauder, G3M Nell, Catalina (1.72) and the wonderful Tamyia Wildcat. I'm working on these models in a sort of assembly line style, so that I'm now approaching painting time for all of them. Needless to say I'm now facing the decision of what to do with a HUGE number of fiddly bits - you know, antennas and all sort of little pieces that can be broken off easily. What do you think I should do with them all?

I know that most would say to leave them off and attach them at the very end. Is white glue really sufficient for this, or should I plan to scrape away paint and use some other kind of cement? And what about glue stains on a surface that's already been painted on and worked to death? This also applies to canopies. Are you an advocate of masking them and gluing them on first or waiting until the end? What kind of glue to you use? I've found that both jewler's cement and Testors clear parts glue are useless because the bond they make is so fragile that the pieces don't survive the slightest touch.

What say you?

It is quite difficult to advice.....As many modellers as many solutions I think. Personally I don't have any problems with these details. Most of them . especially these bigger and thicker ones are always attached before painting. If I can't stick them before the painting process I use Humbrol Maskol applied at the places where the parts have to be fixed..Simply a very samll drop of Maskol into their mounts ( usually holes).Later when painting is finished I remove the masking with a toothpick for instance.Then attach them at the very end of a model assembling and paint with a brush if it is needed.
Concerning the glue...I use the standard glue for styrene or CA Superglue.

Last edited:
Wow, from the title of this thread I thought you were going to get banned from the site;)

I know some use Future floor wax for attaching small parts, clear parts, landing gear etc.... I am just starting back into modelling, but I think I will leave those small breakable pieces off until the main painting is done, too much moving around for me to risk breaking things off.
I think most modeller put canopies on after the main painting is done as well.

Last edited:
Wow, from the title of this thread I thought you were going to get banned fromt he site

I almost didn't open the thread!

I try to decide which parts I can place without breaking and others wait until the end and glue/paint at last minute.

I leave fiddly bits 'til last but mask and attach canopies early so that their frames recieve the same painting as the rest of the aircraft. This also allows me to fix fit issues during construction rather than having to attempt this on a virtually finished model.

Geez, I thought everyone would know what "fiddly bits" means. I just recently learned the term myself, btw.

Thanks for the tips!

I too am working on 4-6 kits at the same time. I save sardine tins (remove the top completely and clean of course) and keep the 'fiddly's' for each plane in a separate one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back