What do you guys use for airbrushing?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

109ROAMING

2nd Lieutenant
May 25, 2008
New Zealand
Last night ( painting my Lanc) I didn't use what I usually use while airbrushing , that is a unit with a fan that sucks the fumes out a window behind my workbench

Hence , I now have a sore throat and I think it was the result of said airbrushing

Just curious what you guys use?

Or alternatively, am I just an idiot that still doesn't know how to use one of these things?

Yeah to Ventilate ( should of said that in the earlier post)

Taking it outside sounds good , although what do you do in winter when its chilly outside and raining?

Well my workbench (Yea right!) is just up against a wall, so there really is no window. In the winter (now) I suppose I can just sit at the kitchen table with the big window open. :oops:

Last night ( painting my Lanc) I didn't use what I usually use while airbrushing , that is a unit with a fan that sucks the fumes out a window behind my workbench

Hence , I now have a sore throat and I think it was the result of said airbrushing

Just curious what you guys use?

Or alternatively, am I just an idiot that still doesn't know how to use one of these things?

enamel paint?

Ya was using enamel paint , but it'd be the same with acrylic wouldn't it? or can you eat that stuff?

Harrison , that sounds good ( big window) although last night with the window open it just blew the fumes back to me

Hence I'm now more curious how everyone else avoids the fumes??

My airbrushing ventilation is all about good intentions unfortunately. When I was using enamels, I did buy myself a good NIOSH mask and usually wore it. My workbench is in a corner of my wood working shop in which I've set up a vacuum dust removal system with a header running around the room with several Y-connections with blast gates. One is right by my workbench so when I cleaned the airbrush, I turned on the vac and opened the blast gate near my spray container to avoid fumes getting into the air.

Since then, I've switched to acrylics and find them not to smell as much - which doesn't necessarily mean the vapours are OK. But I've tended to stop using the mask and when cleaning with water, I just spray it into an open garbage container. Probably not smart.

My plan had been at one time to build a spray booth connected to the above-said vac system. I may just do that.....some day.

Sweet VB!

That sounds good CR , like you I do abita woodwork and had the same idea of building a spray booth with a fan attached to suck out the fumes out through the window behind it

Unfortunately I had this idea at too young an age hence my attempt at said booth was pretty shady ( photo taken last october )

Although it works well , when I can be bothered I'm gonna make a much simpler one without a base and thinner sides to reduce weight ( back nearly brake's moving this one)

Attachments

• IMG_9636.JPG
    IMG_9636.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Well, I break all the rules governing health and safety and just get on with it! I paint by brush at my desk/work station/workbench/dumping ground, which is in the lounge(!), and I do any airbrushing in the kitchen!!
I don't notice the fumes much, but then I've been using enamels (and all sorts of other paints for pictures) for close to fifty years.
It's no excuse, as the fumes and vapour will still be getting at me!
If I do a prolonged spraying session when the room is hot (rare, as we haven't had any summers for the last three years, and the kitchen is only hot in winter if the cooker is on!), then yes, the fumes are more noticeable, normally when I leave the room and go into a 'cleaner' atmosphere. In these instances I open the door to let in some outside air (and rain!), and clear my head, as I do notice a slight muzziness.
The smell of the paints and thinners etc has never bothered me, although of course the fumes, or more correctly the particles in the vapour, are potentially harmful, and I guess it's just due to being used to it, and other strong chemical smells from when I was in the graphics industry.
I keep saying I'll buy and use a mask, but to be effective, it would need to be connected to a filtered oxygen system, with an enclosed hood, and then I wouldn't be able to see b*gger all!
Yes, I know - I'm risking my health. But my time on this lump of rock has already been shortened by the stupid Rheumatoid Arthritis and other tropical infections, injuries etc, so it's a bit late to be whinging about a few fumes as far as I'm concerned!!

Daniel, your set-up looks great. Lots of room! Unfortunately the window idea is a non-starter in my neck of the woods. At this very moment, the temperature on the other side of my shop window is a slightly chilly -26 deg C.

Im with u Terry, I dont use anything in the way of protection... But then again, Im not in a room but an enclosed 1 car garage... If Im really sprayin somethin, Ill open up the garage door.... Every now and then the wife will open up the door from the kitchen and peer through the cloud....

Im really not concerned about the fumes, as I was exposed to alot of asbestos about 5 years ago, crawling around in it actually...

So........

If it matters, I did spray with a shirt wrapped around my head/nose/mouth about 3 times... Too much hassle....

Thanks for the opinions guys , Terry and Dan , I took that approach and ended up paying for it yesterday ( admittedly I am abit soft)

Andy mate , how do you do anything in a shed that cold?

My airbrushing ventilation is all about good intentions unfortunately. When I was using enamels, I did buy myself a good NIOSH mask and usually wore it. My workbench is in a corner of my wood working shop in which I've set up a vacuum dust removal system with a header running around the room with several Y-connections with blast gates. One is right by my workbench so when I cleaned the airbrush, I turned on the vac and opened the blast gate near my spray container to avoid fumes getting into the air.

Since then, I've switched to acrylics and find them not to smell as much - which doesn't necessarily mean the vapours are OK. But I've tended to stop using the mask and when cleaning with water, I just spray it into an open garbage container. Probably not smart.

My plan had been at one time to build a spray booth connected to the above-said vac system. I may just do that.....some day.

Yep!and a open window.

Last edited:
I use just a tower fan behind me, my workbench is on the windows (yes there are a window behind that curtain :D) , so the fan gets out all fumes... and I paint only woth acrlylics that is not toxic...

towerfan_2.gif

DSC07936Small.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back