What happened to the B24 Liberator "The O-Bitch-U-Airy Mary"? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jan 7, 2018
My cousins grandfather flew aboard a ww2 american Consolidated B-24 Liberator bomber nicknamed "The O-Bitch-u-airy Mary". I recall that it was shot down over France and he survived but most of his crew, dear friends of his, did not. There was a photo hanging in his house of the plane and the crew, i dont know its serial number or where it flew and fell. He would never talk about it but I did see bullet scars on his chest once. I did find conflicting information that suggested the plane was hit over Berlin, flew back over the channel only to be shot at by allied guns but landed safley on one engine. Conflicting stories. I'd really like to know what actually happened to the bomber. Nowadays, he's in a home with dementia and Alzheimer's and his eyes are grey and glossy, but I still remember his face and eyes welling with tears every 4th of July as he sat in the shadows of his garage watching the fireworks display. Any suggestions on how I can find out what happened to The O-bitch-u-airy Mary during WW2? Thank you!

For starters, from the book "B-24 Nose Art Name Directory", the s/n was 42-50485. She flew with the 409th Bomb Squadron, 93 Bomb Group, 28th Combat Wing, 2nd Air Division based out of Hardwick At the time of the book printing there was no known photo of her. I have the 93 BG history and I'll start looking.

EDIT: Joe Baugher's site is missing this s/n but it is in among a a batch of B-24J-401-CF, assembled from Ford-built B-24H knockdown kits (whatever this means)

Last edited:
That is more info than I imagined I'd be able to get at such a short notice. Thank you so much for That. I'll start researching using the s/n provided and see what comes up!

Well, the book was wrong and here is your aircraft...O-BITCH-U-AIRY MARY (PIC 1)

upload_2018-1-7_5-13-56.png

That's her alright! I also submitted a research request to the Smithsonian national air and space museum on the plane using the information you provided me. I am very grateful! Hopefully there is some intact record of her fate beyond just stories. I'll update too if I find/hear anything!

Ta....freakin.....da.....

I really hope this is the aircraft, no nose name but that my have been the censors handy work. The armour plate at the copilots window is the same
Yea, I saw that, that's where I found the conflicting information with what my cousin's grandfather had said many many years ago. Only thing is, where did they get that info? Hahah. I'm looking myself to find the source. You have been a tremendous help!

I see what you mean about the armor plate. I wonder if that was standard for the planes in that bombing group or something. I'll ask my cousin to send me a picture of that crew photo if he can find it. I'll post that too.

Great work again Geo.
The armour plate was, indeed, standard by this stage of the war, and fitted to most, if not all, B-24H and J models. It looks like this plate was either pre-painted, probably in O.D., or possibly taken from another aircraft.
If that is the same aircraft, then the name looks like it might just be visible, although either 'blown out' in the highlight, or, as Geo suggested, possibly censored. There's a feint, broken diagonal line still visible, that roughly corresponds with the bottom edge of the lettering.

That's the photo from his grandfather's wall. He came through! He may have been a gunner, Sam Leal is the name. No dates though on when it was shot down.

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpg
    IMG_3138.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_3138.jpg
    IMG_3138.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 193

Users who are viewing this thread

Back