What is this thing on the wing good for?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alexei_Krasnov

Recruit
Mar 22, 2014
Hi,

I was trying to figure out what is this thing on the picture good for:

puq5TOn.png

I've seen this, or something very similar on many of the WWII era airplanes (like the tip of the me262 left wing, etc) but I'm totally clueless what it does. Is it some kind of an instrument? TBH it looks like a lightning rod to me (pointy metal tube).

I tried to search the web but my queries in the like of `what is the pointy metal tube on the wing` did not help much :)

Here's a pitot tube on a P-38...

They are not always long, pointy structures. Sometimes they are small angled protrusions on the wing or in the case of aircraft like bombers, seen on the fuselage near the pilot's compartment.

P-38_pitot_tube.jpg

And modelmakers, the end is rarely in the under surface colour. It is more normally brassy or metallic as the pitot was heated. Iceing of the pitot means you can't measure your airspeed which can have disastrous consequences, even for an Air France airliner.
Cheers
Steve

Ok, now that this is out there I can finally ask, is there any benefit between the long pointy one over the small bendy one or vice versa?

Geo

And just cross posted with Steve which answered another question. Thanks Steve.

It has to be in clean undisturbed air is all. Mainly why it is "out front" or Under the wing and out near the wing tip. Every plane has one...... unless seat of the pants flying is your thing.

***BTW, these are the instruments it works with.

Attachments

• Faa_pitot_static_system.JPG
    Faa_pitot_static_system.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Hi,

I was trying to figure out what is this thing on the picture good for:

View attachment 257272

I've seen this, or something very similar on many of the WWII era airplanes (like the tip of the me262 left wing, etc) but I'm totally clueless what it does. Is it some kind of an instrument? TBH it looks like a lightning rod to me (pointy metal tube).

I tried to search the web but my queries in the like of `what is the pointy metal tube on the wing` did not help much :)

It is an Airfix model from the 60s....sand it down

I've got a piece of string hanging from the handlebars on my electric mobility scooter. If it's vertical, I'm not moving. If it's at 20 degrees I'm flat out. If it's at 45 degrees or more, I'm in trouble !!
So...if the string is hanging anywhere between the 10 O'clock and 2 O'clock position, it is indicating that you exceeded 45 degrees? :lol:

It has to be in clean undisturbed air is all. Mainly why it is "out front" or Under the wing and out near the wing tip. Every plane has one...... unless seat of the pants flying is your thing.

***BTW, these are the instruments it works with.

:) That is the exact diagram that is in my flight instruction manuals.

So...if the string is hanging anywhere between the 10 O'clock and 2 O'clock position, it is indicating that you exceeded 45 degrees? :lol:

Which means I've grossly exceeded the performance and handling envelope of the craft - a sure indication that, at the time of the transgression, I was on the way back from the pub !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back