What P-40 Fighter Squadron does this Insignia Belong to?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jun 2, 2020
When I do a Google search of this Insignia of a USAAF fighter Squadron flying P-40s it suggests the 95th Fighter Squadron but it's not the same design. These P-40s are shown at a USA training base.

Skull top hat fighter squadron-INSIGNIA-1.jpg

P-40 Skull top hat fighter squadron USA 1940s-W-2.jpg

P-40 Skull top hat fighter squadron USA 1940s-W-1.jpg

And while we are here can you say which training unit base these P-40s are shown at.

Moky

Thankyou mjfur and Fubar for that info. I will go with it being an earlier version of the 95th FS insignia.

95th Fighter Squadron-INSIGNIA-ART-1.jpg

Wiki says the squadron was activated in early 1942 at Harding Field, Louisiana as the 95th Pursuit Squadron.
Also info that they trained at Muroc CA, now Edwards AFB. Will go with that location in the absence of other info to the contrary.

Moky

Last edited:
The orderly room photo could be south Louisiana because of the plant and tree types. The flight line and tree line looks flat similar to the Belle Chasse Naval station. Edwards has a lot of desert and few trees.

Spec Ed thanks for noticing the vegetation. Would seem that Harding Field LA is the more likely location. Problem is we don't know if all pics were taken at the one location so the ones of P-40 could be Muroc CA. The air to air photo below doesn't look like desert so I guess it is the Louisiana bayou.

P-40 95th fighter squadron Muroc CA USA 1942_Moky_100x-3.jpg

Moky

Last edited:
Thanks Catch 22,
Great photo evidence so via a very circuitous route I will name the location as Fort Myers FL.
Moky
Kudos should go to mjfur for the link - I just saw the photo there.
Check this interesting site as well:
Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Florida, Ft. Myers area
There might be some interesting details, I didn't go through everything.
A couple of days ago I was checking year books from different Flying schools with hundreds of photos, cartoons, stories etc. It was an amazing site, all for free and I think I saved it. Next day my computer crashedo_O and could be revitalized from an older backup only. I don't know what did I loose in the crash, but I can't find the above mentioned site in my browsing history:rolleyes:. I'll post it here if I'm lucky and find it again.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back