What protoype do you wish had seen service in WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

XB-42 Mixmaster, Bell XP-77, Mile M.20, XP-67, XP-54, XF5U-1

Mixmaster because it could perform the same kind of bombing as the Mossie and had a higher top speed, as well some defensive armament if anything managed to catch up it.

XP 77 because it would have been a cheaply produced and effective fighter.

Miles M.20 because it had great performance for being assembled from "off the shelf" parts, including the first teardrop canopy.

XP-67 because of the heavy armament, long range, and unorthodox layout.

XP-54 because it would have made a great interceptor and dog-fighter

XF5U-1 because it could achieve over 500mph top speed, had a great armament capability, and could take off at a very low speed.

never heard of the XF5U

wonder how it would be if the Ta 183 and the Su-1/3/5/7 came out
and the He-280 would have been interesting

Oh yes, it is not such a great aircraft if I take the way it were in Secret Weapons over Normandy, but that was a game and the real live and a game is not the same.

I would also like to see how it would be like in combat.

Henk

Henk said:
If I had to chose a dive bomber I would chose the Hs-132.

I dont really think the Hs-132 would have been very effective. A jet aircraft as a dive bomber is pretty dumb. It would have suited better in a ground attack role other than dive bombing.

You think mate? I think that if you attack from a high altatute it would work with airbrakes and more flaps. It would be able to out run prop fighters and can join in a air battle if it had guns. That is why I think it would be great in that role.

What do you think DerAdlerIstGelandet?

Henk

Actually, the XF5U is still pretty good even without the publicity from Secret Weapons over Normandy. It is true that with a little headwind the plane would almost lift off on its own, at a very low speed that some sources site as below 100 miles per hour. Also, yes it did not go 600+ miles per hour, its top speed was actually closer to 510 miles per hour.

:lol: :lol: It would never have the capacity to reach America in the first place. Its engines would never have made it and where would it get fuel. I just would have loved to see it in action as a normal bomber.

Henk

*pulls book out of shelf*
here you go Henk

Attachments

• mayles_ehm_tvvent_449.jpg
    mayles_ehm_tvvent_449.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 258
at the time of the BoB with the ammo count them wings are capable of, 12 .303s aint exactily weak!

and yes the M.B.5 would've been interesting to see, but i can't see it ever replacing the spit.........

martin-baker%20mb3.gif

MARTIN-BAKER MB.3 - First of three prototypes ordered mid-1939 to conform to Specification F. 18/39 for a heavily-armed high-performance fighter. Powered by a 2,300 hp Napier Sabre II, the Martin-Baker MB.3 (R2492) first flew at Wing on August 31, 1942, but was lost 12 days later when making a dead-stick landing. Second prototype appeared two years later as Martin-Baker MB.5).

Max speed (estimated), 415 mph (668 km/h). Gross weight, 11,497 Ib (5,215 kg). Span, 35 ft 0 in (10.67 m). Length, 35 ft 4 in (10.77 m).

from http://www.jaapteeuwen.com/ww2aircraft/html pages/MARTIN-BAKER MB3.htm
another pic

fot070.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back