What the hell is that???

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For sure it is a fake.Look at these water splashes on its fuselage,please.

What is it I am missing here, Matt ?

Charles

Any digital effects on digital photos, irrespective of the computer application, are referred too as having been done by "Photoshop". You know, kind like all ear swabs referred too as "Qtips".

You were expecting an answer right...

Matt: I understand perfectly..... like all tissues are "Kleenex" and all
copiers are "Xerox"..... I believe the term is "a household word".

So there !

Charles

for the few first frames, you can see the missle.

I actually think it's a pretty good job..

The aircraft rotates
The aircraft stutters as the engine starts
Camera shake is taken into consideration

Attachments

• cu.jpg
    cu.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 261
Only Know of 2 aircraft launched from subs and Wurger will need to confirm the details of the first one. It was an unpowered autogyro towed by a U-Boat to give it long range spotting ability.
The other was one of the British K class boats which carried a seaplane (unknown type) in a deck hanger.
In both cases the sub had to surface and rig the aircraft.
Truth can be totaly wierd :shock:
Dragonsinger

The Japanese super subs had aircraft as well. Don't know the proper name though, but I'm sure somebody will know.

This from Military History Online:
"Thus began work on the world's first submarine aircraft carrier in January, 1943 and in little more than a year, the largest submarine ever built was launched. With an aircraft hangar and carrying three bombers, it had the ability to travel anywhere on the globe, underwater and undetected, launch an airborne attack, and return home safely. The War Ministry planned to build a fleet of 21 of these monster subs, dubbed "Sen Tokus", and work began on the first one in early 1943 but only three were actually built—I-400, I-401 and I-402. They each displaced 6,560 tons, were 400 feet long (as compared with a typical U.S. sub's length of just over 200 feet) with a surface speed of 19 knots and 6.5 knots submerged. Overall, they were three times the size of an average WWII sub and had a crew consisting of between 144 and 220 men, depending on the mission. As is usual with any new class of vessel, many design flaws required correction and the intricacies of launching aircraft from a surfaced submersible required lots of training. But eventually, within 45 minutes of surfacing, her skilled personnel could break out, assemble, fuel, arm and catapult all three aircraft. The sleek-looking Aichi M6A Seiran bombers had a wingspan of 40 feet and a length of 38 feet. The planes were launched by a 120-foot catapult and were hoisted back aboard by powerful hydraulic cranes. They were stowed in the hanger compartment with floats detached and wings and tails folded. There was even room for a fourth plane if needed."

I saw a documentary about these subs and the underwater search for their remains. They were sunk by the US Navy along with many other Japanese subs after the war. You'd have thought that the US would take one home for display, but they didn't want the folks at home to know that the Japanese did something they couldn't. They are restoring an Aichi M6A Seiran for display though.:lol:

This from Military History Online:
"Thus began work on the world's first submarine aircraft carrier in January, 1943 and in little more than a year, the largest submarine ever built was launched. With an aircraft hangar and carrying three bombers, it had the ability to travel anywhere on the globe, underwater and undetected, launch an airborne attack, and return home safely. The War Ministry planned to build a fleet of 21 of these monster subs, dubbed "Sen Tokus", and work began on the first one in early 1943 but only three were actually built—I-400, I-401 and I-402. They each displaced 6,560 tons, were 400 feet long (as compared with a typical U.S. sub's length of just over 200 feet) with a surface speed of 19 knots and 6.5 knots submerged. Overall, they were three times the size of an average WWII sub and had a crew consisting of between 144 and 220 men, depending on the mission. As is usual with any new class of vessel, many design flaws required correction and the intricacies of launching aircraft from a surfaced submersible required lots of training. But eventually, within 45 minutes of surfacing, her skilled personnel could break out, assemble, fuel, arm and catapult all three aircraft. The sleek-looking Aichi M6A Seiran bombers had a wingspan of 40 feet and a length of 38 feet. The planes were launched by a 120-foot catapult and were hoisted back aboard by powerful hydraulic cranes. They were stowed in the hanger compartment with floats detached and wings and tails folded. There was even room for a fourth plane if needed."

There were plans to use them in a raid against the Panama Canal.

"The Seirans were originally prepared for an attack against the Panama canal, but the target was changed to the US Navy anchorage at Ulithi when Japanese Intelligence learned that the US was preparing to invade Japan. The strike force consisted of four aircraft carrying submarines, 2 I-400 class subs with 3 Seiran each and 2 modified AM class submarines with 2 Seirans each. The flotilla put to sea in July 1945, but the war ended before it could complete it's mission. The remaining submarines in the flotilla returned to Japan and surrendered to US forces."

AirToAirCombat.Com: Aichi M6A Seiran in Detail

Attachments

• aichi_seiran_large.jpg
    aichi_seiran_large.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back