What the.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Right....was sitting here minding my own business when something down on the floor caught my eye....
A coin, didn't think much about that, just another 1 Penny I thought....
Bend down to pick it up, and I notice that it wasn't copper in color, but silver....odd!
At a closer look, I see that the figure doesn't look familiar or the other side either....after a bit of rubbing I saw something-something 18...
Ok cool I thought, a coin from 1918, could be fun to have for no apparent reason...:lol:
Then I remembered that tooth paste can be good at times like these...put some one, use elbowgrease and now it looks like new almost!
Problem is that isn't from 1918, but from 1818!! And the gentleman is King George III..!
It says, GEORGE III D.G - BRITT.REX F.D

Turning over it says,
HONI - SOIT - Q and MAL - V - PENSE.....

Question.....what the h**l is it? :lol: :lol:

Attachments

• 1819%20crown.jpg
    1819%20crown.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 207
  • hs17.jpg
    hs17.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 252
Cheers NJ, appreciated! The only pic that matches the coin that found, is the bottom right one....I'll see if I can get a decent pic of it.

Whoops....I was wrong! Doesn't match any of them.... :oops:

I know.....the 1817 and 1819 as you see above looks different! And depending on condition it's worth, I saw, between 60 and 500 quid! :shock:
I'll be cleaning this baby up....:lol:

I know.....the 1817 and 1819 as you see above looks different! And depending on condition it's worth, I saw, between 60 and 500 quid! :shock:
I'll be cleaning this baby up....:lol:

Oh for God's sake...don't clean it! What you have is a King George IIIrd. I collect and trade gold Napoleons from time to time, and as any coin collector will tell you, DO NOT clean it! It already seems a bit worn. You may actually devalue the coin doing so. I'd say your piece is about 75-80% condition, some wear especially on the royal standard.

btw- nice avatar.

Too late....:( Funny though, after 190 years and God knows how many hands, pockets and purses, it looks like new now...and not in such a bad condition that I first thought...
Even if I made it less valuable after giving it a clean, I'm gonna go with it to one of those thingmys that deal with coins, whatever they're called...IF there's one here in Glasgow..

What did you use to clean it? The reason I ask is because if it is even mildly corrosive, it could cause a further breakdown of the details over time.

Arsenal is right, NEVER clean them. If you found them in the mud or something, rinse them with water only and dry them off.

Wow, Jan! What a find! I'm presuming that your place is not a new building, so that coin might have been there for some time. I think if someone had dropped it, even donkeys years ago, they would have ripped the place apart looking for a gold coin. Without wrecking the place, it might be worthwhile lifting the floorboards, or at least the carpet, near where you found it. You never know, there may be more and, gold being heavy, it nearly always tries to find its way to the lowest level.
Nice find, it's always good to hear of someones good fortune. Congrats mate!

True Terry... It's an old building, but not that old as 190 or so years. More or less early 20th century or so I'd guess, which makes me wonder where the h*ll the coin comes from...? :shock:

Could have been there for awhile, maybe dropped by someone. Or maybe more recently dropped, given in change as a £1 coin? Whatever, you've got a few models worth there! And if there ARE more.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back