What The

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hawkeye2an

Staff Sergeant
Mar 18, 2009
St Joseph, Missouri
Ran across this picture and never seen anything like it. Would love to know more about it.
Source: Some It's Just As Well: Photo (tumblr.com)
tumblr_3e15b3272e89ba9c12a04d595223b93a_ba03e515_1280.jpg

I remember seeing a photo of a British biplane that was used in the desert. It had all sorts of spare parts strapped to it including a propeller. The reason for this was, so says the caption, was, in case the aircraft went down in the middle of nowhere, they could fix the problem and then continue on. Not much desert traffic in the 1920s I guess

In WW1 both sides used aircraft to drop off agents behind the lines to spy.
Maybe they're providing this one with a little added mobility.
Looks like a Mercedes engine, but I can't ID the aircraft.

Actually, in World War One there was a significant shortage of motorcycle tyres. Therefore despatch riders would take their bike and message by plane to the
airfield nearest to the message destination and ride from there to conserve the bike tyres.

Also the pic shows the first aircraft air conditioner to keep the pilot cool (engine got quite hot) as with the bike etc bolted on the plane couldn't get to the
cooler air levels.

P.S. The above is a pile of the proverbial but it looked right at the time. Anyone else finding it reasonable should make an appointment to receive some
heavy duty medication (and no, it didn't work for me either - thus this post).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back