Whats the BEST "Armchair General" sim??? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

proton45

Senior Airman
Jan 30, 2007
Massachusetts
Hello their fellow gamers...

Like many of you I'm an aviation "simmer" first, but I have often been intrigued by the possibility's that military combat sims (Strategic Games) suggest...

Here is my question: What is the "best" strategic game? Lets say I wanted to work out a "what-if" scenario...The year 1942, the location is London, and the Germans are advancing on a coalition force of British allies. I set up the map and position the army and hit "enter", and bam!!! The strategic sim starts to work out the details (as best it can).

You know the way people used to set up big tables with maps on them and they would push around model tanks, and little soldiers...and they would check their statistical tables, ect...and argue over the details. Is their a WW2 strategic sim that you can use that way? I set up a map with two armys and let the "AI" battle it out the best it can?

Shoot, I'm getting the 5 minute warning from my family, and I have to run before I proof read this, but I think its clear enough...Thanks!!! :oops:

Steel Panthers World War 2 is the one you're after mate. Available for FREE from the Shrapnel games website. Turn-based, 50 meters per hex, units are squads and individual tanks. There is also a version called Main Battle Tank which covers 1946-2020. Thats free as well 8)

Its called wargaming Proton. As for computer strategys, you can play the free ones online or theres some "kind of" strategic games out there. My personal favorite is Company of Heroes, intense action and strategy and a lot of fun. But theres no grids and such, its on a map you build up your HQ and make your little army and try to get control points for resources.

Also, check out Avalanche Press and Decision Games for paper and counter based games - I don't own any of Decision's products but they look good, and I can personally recommend Avalanche as damn good games, all designed to be played solitaire if you so wish. Sharapnel Games and Matrix Games are the place to look for other computer based sims, Battlefront.com as well.

The first three Close Combat games were brilliant, but I haven't played one since - I got into Battlefront's COmbat Mission series and that did me for RTS :lol: I'm not keen on the latest CM game though - maybe just because it is modern era rather than WW2. I may revisit Close Combat, I believe Matrix are distributing it now :?:

Once battlefield went modern then future I was done. I liked Battlefield 2 but lost my CD key and couldnt play. But before that I used to play the "modern" mod on 1942. Good times good times.. I could probably pick apart the different planes now after being active on this forum haha!

Ah, so 1999! :lol:

Heres the CoH stuff, its a real-time strategy. Not a grid or anything, but it sure is "intense"!

Company of Heroes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Video Review: Company Of Heroes Video Game, Review | Game Trailers Videos | GameTrailers.com

You can get the original game and the 'opposing fronts' in a Gold Edition for about $30, is a real nice deal!

I don't have to have "the grid" per-say...I'm really just looking for a game engine that I can work out "what-if" scenarios on... a simple example might be: who would win? 100 Tiger tanks troops attacking a defended position like "Iwo Jima". (a crazy "what-if"_lol). I'm looking for a game engine that could calculate the known damage/trajectory/ROF/ect as the AI plays out the attack plan I program into it. (I know I'm dreaming...right?)

Anyway...I have been eying "Company of Hero's"...just for the fun! :)

Oh so you want to do yourself a bit of programming and such, not sure in that case! But much fun you will have with CoH, the campaign is a thriller with nice cinematics and voice-over. Can't even describe it without a smile on my face, go get it!! :D

Hearts of Iron II is hands down the most in depth strategic PC game ever made. It covers the globe and all facets of governing during WWII. No other PC game can compare to it.

But you may want to wait a couple of weeks for Hearts of Iron III to be released if you are looking for the most in depth historical real time strategy game ever devised.
Paradox Interactive - HEARTS OF IRON III

Users who are viewing this thread

Back