What's with all the "What's the best" threads around here?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JimM

Airman
Nov 1, 2007
Or, "Aircraft A, vs Aircraft C...which would win?" kind of stuff.

Why? Are you guys asking from a "I want to know what to pick in IL2" or other flight sim direction, or just out of historical curiosity?

The reason I ask, as someone who studies and is writing a book on this subject matter, it's always subjective...there is almost never a proper, black and white answer. Talking to all of these old pilots has taught me that if anything.

I've just never seen a forum with such a preponderance of these questions, so just curious.

Frankly its just because it generates discussions on the relative merits of the members of the class of aircraft that are the subject of the question.

This is a WWII aviation forum and we like to discuss WWII aviation. If you have some interesting topics that will get people to share their considerable knowledge with spirited discussions / debates, please add your ingredients to the mix.

Well said Jank. I used to think it was kind of funny as well, but I think it does stimulate a lot of discussion and further reading that we all learn from. There are no black and white answers, statistics of capabilities mean nothing when you get the right (or wrong) guy at the stick. Finns cleaned up in Brewster Buffaloes, Filipino pilots managed to down Zeros with P-26 Peashooters.

But it's all in the spirit of learning and sharing info. Some of the threads have gone on for months and months with no answers at all, but some great info being shared and learned.

Like Jank said... it just facilitates discussion and makes people present information..

Anybody will tell you that it comes down to a myriad of factors.. the pilot, maintenance, tactical advantage, fuel quality ect... ect...

Also military doctrine, strategy, tactics and necessity ....

Just have an answer why you think something is the "best". "It is really cool" doesnt cut it!

Have fun!

Or, "Aircraft A, vs Aircraft C...which would win?" kind of stuff.

Why? Are you guys asking from a "I want to know what to pick in IL2" or other flight sim direction, or just out of historical curiosity?

The reason I ask, as someone who studies and is writing a book on this subject matter, it's always subjective...there is almost never a proper, black and white answer. Talking to all of these old pilots has taught me that if anything.

I've just never seen a forum with such a preponderance of these questions, so just curious.

Because as others put out it generates topics.

The majority of people here know that is subjective.

Also this site is mostly about real aircraft not the "sim"...

We do it because it is interesting to get people's opinion on their favorite aircraft. I think most people realize that there are many variables that can be attributed to a particular planes success, but it if you can put them on the same playing field (pilot skill, availability, etc.) it then comes down to the design of the plane. As an engineering geek, I love to compare design attributes from different aircraft. I probably need a life but I'm sure that other people feel the same way, especially by looking at how long the threads can get.

Got it.
Thanks peeps. 8)

It's all one big grey area, nothing is black and white (just like the real world).

However, most of us enjoy discussing and debating the various merits and/or liabilities of any aircraft. I think most of us here have a "favorite" aircraft, but there is never a clear-cut winner, despite what others might say. I, personally, am partial to Luftwaffe aircraft, but that doesn't mean I don't grudgingly admit that the P-51 was an outstanding aircraft, or that the F-4U1 Corsair may have been the best all-around a/c of WWII. Yes, the Me 262 was an outstanding a/c, but it didn't win the War for the Germans, no matter how good it was.

The bottom line is, it's about your opinion, and how well you can argue your point. A lot of the guys here have statistics up the yin-yang; I don't. I just know what works and what doesn't (and, sometimes, why it does or does not work). Other than that, you're free to participate and/or argue your point. That's why most of us are here. Plus, it's fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back