What's your favorite part of the model building process

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
The other day on one of Harrison's threads there was some discussion about painting wheels which is one of my least favorite modeling tasks, and there seemed to be some agreement there. It got me to wondering what peoples favorite tasks in the model building process are, so I thought I'd start this thread where you guys could chime in. My guess is there is going to be a wide variety of answers.

For my part, my favorite is the major painting and masking. It's always a good feeling when I have the basic airframe complete and ready for the airbrush, and there's nothing like peeling off the masking and reveling a great paint job!

I love the planning, the building etc I sometimes find ********* annoying if parts don't fit, then I love the finished article.

Can't isolate one specific area - I enjoy when an area of scratch-building turns out right, and looks the part. I've yet to get there of course ! I also like the time when the clear coat goes on, followed by the decals, which starts to bring the lumps of plastic (and filler!) to life.

I love cockpit build, scratchuilding and when you get that nice even coat of paint from the airbrush!

Cockpit building is fun when there is good detail because I have fun and it keeps me busy...

Scrathbuilding is fun to make something horrrible look look a lot better and you feel good!

Last part is self explanatory!

The thing I enjoy most about modelling is researching the plane or pilot and finding out the why's about the details and the history of the man and machine. I know that's not working on plastic, but you get to appreciate the finished article a whole lot more.

The second best thing is the painting and finishing - it brings everything together. It's great when you take the masking off and everything worked. Laying on the decals makes me very nervous for some strange reason, and final prep and weathering is fun.

Least liked is filling and sanding:rolleyes: or stuffing up a paint job and having to redo.

Forgot about the research element ! Probably the best part of the overall modelling project - finding the subject, getting photographs of the actual machine, details of operations, the pilot/crew etc etc.
Of course, it can sometimes be the most frustrating part of modelling too, especially when there are conflicts of information !

Similar to Terry I like when something that has to be scratch-built gets a correct shape.... Also I like sanding, cutting, drilling....ets. But thinking is that I like the most.

I like the research involved quite a bit, it means more when u get done... I love doin the cockpit work and trying to get it and the scratchbuilding right, as well as the gear and wheel wells....

I think my favorite part it trying and succeeding in making the planes used and abused, bringing out the filthy whore in each one of em... Panel lines and washes, pastels and a fine brush... Bringing the model TO LIFE, matching in theatre sitting on the line photos...

I really get into that as my last few previous models will attest to...

Sadly, it's buying the kit... :(
Nothing wrong with that

If I'd done any scratching, I liked getting the primer on so that everything was a uniform colour instead of a patchwork of white styrene and whatever colour the kit was OOB, it meant that all of your endeavours disappeared into the model for the right reasons and gave an impression of tangible progress. Bit weird I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back