When did gun camera installations become common? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Multimetal

Airman
Jul 2, 2010
Hi all, I was reading the Luftwaffe weapons thread today and a question popped into my mind about gun camera installations. Specifically who carried them, in what planes, and when. Please will someone more knowledgeable help fill in the blanks -

GB/UK commonwealth-I've seen some guncam footage from the BOB era, don't know how common and widespread installations were though. Seems like RAF guncamera footage is comparatively rare, at least here in the US. I know the Spitfire for instance had a camera button on either the stick or instrument panel, can't remember right now.

Soviet VVS- Not much footage around it seems, at least not here in the West. Don't know how many VVS fighters, or what types, carried guncams. I have read in a pilot interview that by the last year of the war almost all IL2's were equipped with guncameras and the footage was used for intelligence purposes, although I've never seen this any of this personally.

Luftwaffe- A fair bit of footage around, especially from the Western European theater. Lots of footage of bomber attacks, etc., but seemingly it's much more rare (again here in the US) to come across footage from the Eastern front. (Excepting footage from Stukas.) Don't really know when guncam installations became common or how widespread they were. Pretty sure late war era 190's carried cameras as standard, not sure about 109's.

Japan- Almost nothing from the early war era, and not a whole lot after that. Have seen some footage from B-29 attacks but not a whole lot else.

USAAF/USN/USMC- The motherlode, lots of footage and by the last year or so of the war most of it in color. Most fighters seemed to carry cameras as standard from early war period.

Thanks for any input anyone has!

Gun cameras were mounted on RAF aircraft from the mid to late 1930s, but didn't become common until mid to late 1940. Even then, many fighters were not fitted with them. By roughly mid 1941, most operational front-line fighter squadrons had them fitted as standard. The camera was operated by the gun button, with an 'over run' of a few seconds after the button was released.

Very few Luftwaffe aircraft were fitted with them, those that were mainly for training and propaganda purposes. The footage that exists is mainly from Fw 190's, installation in the Bf 109 was rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back