When is a Spitfire a Spitfire?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Basket

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 27, 2007
If you look at long lived designs like the Bf 109 or Spitfire, the early aircraft have little in common with the last versions so should we still lump all aircraft as Spitfires?

Should we think of them as new designs?

With the Spitfire the first of each new main type started life as an earlier type with a new engine fitted, and they all somehow look like Spitfires.

They should be together. I mean, just because the 2017 Ford Mustang doesn't look like, and isn't engineered like the 1964 Mustang doesn't mean it's not a Ford Mustang.
So long as a year, Mk, version is stated then it's what it says on the tin in my opinion.
So effectively just a revised And updated design, rather than new.

How can a 1965 Ford Mustang be related to a 2020 Ford Mustang? Just coz a badge?

If you look at long lived designs like the Bf 109 or Spitfire, the early aircraft have little in common with the last versions so should we still lump all aircraft as Spitfires?

I've read that every Spitfire until the bubble canopy variants shared the same fuselage from the firewall back to the beginning of the tail. Maybe that's myth, but if true that's a good amortization of production tooling.

From http://www.historyofwar.org/Pictures/spitfire_sides.gif

They should be together. I mean, just because the 2017 Ford Mustang doesn't look like, and isn't engineered like the 1964 Mustang doesn't mean it's not a Ford Mustang.
You think that's analogous to the series of Spitfires? Your example of the Mustang is more like the Eurofighter and Hawker Typhoons sharing the same name.

Last edited:
It is interesting that the Lancaster underwent less-significant changes than Spitfire did throughout its life cycle. But became Lancastrian and Lincoln etc.

Could you build a MK XII using MK I or II tooling, or good parts of it. Were major assemblies interchangeable?

I can understand the MK XXs an up perhaps not being "Spitfires" (different wing) but some of the others dis use at least some parts.

In some cases it is "Marketing" in other cases it is because the design has really changed.

Greg mentioned the WIldcat earlier. Early Wildcats/Martlets used Wright Cyclone engine, early Wildcats/Martlets had four guns. A late Wildcat/Martlet using a Wright Cyclone engine and four guns and having a taller tail should be called what? Not a Wildcat?

I've collected some data for my thread but i can post here some on the Spitfire, probably miss some experimentals/trials only and only to 1944
the Spitfires had 3 wings or maybe better a wings with 3 different wingspan
the following Merlin engines:
II, III, XII, 45, 45M, 46, 47, 50, 50A, 50M, 55, 55M, 56, 61, 63, 63A, 64, 66, 70, 71; counting also the Seafire we need add 32
the following Griffon engines:
III, IV, 61, 65

.... A late Wildcat/Martlet using a Wright Cyclone engine and four guns and having a taller tail should be called what? Not a Wildcat?

Actually, Eastern proposed calling the FM-2 the Viking, but the Navy killed that idea. (Maybe they'd have had better luck with Martlet?)

Cheers,

Dana

Why isn't the Spiteful and Seafang a Spitfire or Seafire? What was so different that the nomenclature finally changed?

Had the Typhoon not garnered a reputation for losing its tail perhaps the Tempest would have been a further mark of the Typhoon. But the Spitfire seems to be the exception.

Perhaps Vickers and their Supermarine office was just aware of good marketing. What other aircraft did they have with a proud name? Walrus was good, Wellesley and Wellington, okay.

Last edited:
Why isn't the Spiteful and Seafang a Spitfire or Seafire? What was so different that the nomenclature finally changed?

Had the Typhoon not garnered a reputation for losing its tail perhaps the Tempest would have been a further mark of the Typhoon.

Spitefull had a brand new wing.

Not only a different planeform but it was laminar flow (or they were trying for it) so the the airfoil was completely different. You also had the change in landing gear and the different radiator set up.

Tempest likewise got a new wing with a different airfoil.

This is actually an extremely complex question, and in my view is only answerable by looking at the design hours put into each new type - which is obviously a direct indication of the proportional similarity of parts to the last version. Based on that, I would say everything up to the Mk21 is a Spitfire, after which I think its justifiable to say the similarity is more visual
than structural. However even the Mk8 was a VERY large developmental change. I think you`ll find similar storys in all planes, and ultimately its probably not about "how many mk1 parts are in mk... version, but at what point the change stops being evolutionary and starts becoming conceptual. All subjective and woolly ! Even up to the Mk24 its still "conceptually similar" in that all the bits are in the same place, they`re just bigger or slighly morphed in shape. Radiators still in the same place etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread