Where do engines ‘throw oil’ from?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The B-25 Mitchell carried 31 gallons of oil for both engines. New engines in perfect shape would burn a gallon of oil an hour. This information came from a Army Air Corps mechanic whose job it was to receive B-25s from the factory somewhere down in Texas (Sheppard?). I also remember seeing the Collins Foundation B-17 parked at a local airport and people were concerned that oil was leaking. My great uncle (a B-25 top turret gunner) was in turn amused by their concern. He told me, "I only got worried when they ran out of oil to leak." I asked him if that ever happened to his aircraft and he said, "I looked out at the starboard engine and saw a piston chugging up and down, with nothing surrounding it." THEN I was worried!"

Any place that has oil can leak oil. A tiny leak or drip would "spray" when it is in a 200-400 mph. slip stream. I am sure that one couldn't even narrow it down to a handful of causes for any one such incident. The oil coolers themselves probably have more than dozen points of possible leaks. (the oil tank for a P-51 was right on the other side of the firewall).

Users who are viewing this thread