Where is MikeWint?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To sort of quote Mark Twain: The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Now me...long story though Terry posted the gist of it . On July 6 we had a severe storm with very high winds. A very large tree limb 15 to 16in(+40cm) in diameter broke loose from one of our very large oak trees and fell on our jet skis which had been parked under the tree. That evening I went out with a chain saw to start clearing the limb and assess the damage. I was doing really well, trimming away small branches, when I heard a giant CRACK. The entire limb started to fall down then caught on something?? which caused it to rotate outwards toward me. It swatted me like a fly and I felt a sharp pain in my left leg as I flew through the air. I woke up in the tree, upside down, on my back, with my legs hanging down over another tree limb. I could see chunks' of leg flesh hanging down and lots of blood squirting out. Basically I was trapped and could move very little. Fortunately the next door neighbor had seen what happened and rushed over. Using a bath towel he wrapped the leg and we got a tourniquet on the leg. With help from a few more neighbors they got me free from the tree, standing, into a van and on our way to the ER in town. Once there, naturally one has to register so another 10min sitting answering questions and making blood puddles on the floor. The ER doc could not stop the bleeding but was so impressed with the amount of damage that he took pictures (8X10s available on request) The Ortho-doc on call scheduled emergency surgery and finally got the bleeding stopped and the artery repaired. Was in the hospital for a week followed by another surgery. Three days later I was on my way home with orders to stay in bed. About a week later I started coughing and was having trouble breathing. Thinking Pneumonia, they did a chest X-ray. Seeing some shadows on the X-ray they did a CT-scan. Doc came in to say that my lungs were filled with pulmonary emboli (clotted blood) and I needed immediate treatment. So back in the hospital. They pumped me full of blood thinners and did an echo of my legs finding a massive clot in my left leg. Fearing it might break loose they installed a filter in my inferior vena cava to trap any future clots. Two more surgeries and I am home at last, in a wheelchair and sort of walking with the aid of a walker. The damage to my lower left leg will take time to heal and so I go to a special wound clinic every week. The docs there continue to treat the original wound, cutting away dead tissue, and doing skin grafts.

SOOO...the leg is painful, it is difficult to walk or sit for periods of time. I'm on Eliquis for at least 6 months when the leg clot will be re-evaluated.

As a result of all of the above, my world and life have greatly constricted. I get to the computer once in a while so I've not gotten to the forum but do check email occasionally thus I caught Terry's email. I should be able to walk again at some point however that's a ways down the road with lots of PT going to be required.

So, in short, still on the greenside of the sod, no Last Post and chorus, no Flowers of the Forest, yet. I'm getting better day by day (he said hopefully) so will try to get to the forum from time to time.

Stay away from trees, call The Guy

Great to see you back Mike, even if only temporary.
Look after yourself, and take it easy my friend.

Take care Mike. It's good to know that you're still among the living. Get well soon my friend. As for that filter, I hope it isn't one of the ones that I've heard so many bad things about.

Take care and get well soon.
And thanks for the lesson, I will remember it when it happens to have a chainsaw in my hands.....

All the best for a full and speedy recovery Mike. Trees are nasty - same thing happened to my bro-in-law resulting in broken femur but nothing near as bad as what you ended up with. Definitely call The Guy.

THANK YOU ALL. It warms the cockles of my little stone of a heart to know that my absence was noted
My injury approaches healed but the blood clot in my leg is restricting circulation and edema is becoming a problem. The ligaments, tendons, muscles of my lower leg have solidified and weight bearing/flexing is very painful. Ah to be 20 again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back