Where to buy weight? To prevent tailsitting (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

looney

Airman 1st Class
May 6, 2010
Hey all,

I'm working on a terrible Airfix P-39 Cobra and to prevent it from tailsitting I've used a piece of spare
roofing lead. Only I'm out of the stuff now.

For my next build a Revell Me-262 I'm in need of 20grams of added weight.
What is a good substitute?

I'm from the Netherlands so shotgun ammo pellets is out of the question.
I was thinking about Split-shot sinkers, nut/bolts/washers and try to find more roofing lead.

Anymore ideas and places to buy it from relativly cheap?

Lead weights for fishing line would be best substitue I think. Lead has a higher density than steel washers and nuts so takes up less space for the same weight.

I agree with Andy.
I normally use lead shot fishing weights, which are small enough to fit into awkward areas. These are held in place with children's 'Plasticine' (synthetic modelling 'play-clay'), which can be moulded around the weights, holding them firmly in place. Apart from providing extra weight, the clay will not damage the plastic, unlike some glues, which can cause distortion.
At the moment, I'm out of the lead shot, so I'm using small strips of roofing lead. Off-cuts can often be had from builders merchants, and the small piece I have will probably last me years !

I agree with these two guys above. I use the lead fishing weights as well. These can be bought in all hobby shops for fishingmen.

3684_1.jpg

3_2e929daea63d.jpg

I agree,lead shot for fishing. If you use two or three sizes you can pack it in and often avoid the need for any fixing with Tac or glue. Here's a packed compartment on an Me262 I did a while ago.

weight1-1.gif

Cheers
Steve

Have to agree with all, fishing lead-shot is the answer and if you have a confined space they can be wacked with the hammer and flattened which I have done many a time to fit in behind an engine nacelle.

Use the fishing weight everyone does, you can even bash it with a hammer to make it fit tight corners some of the stuff that comes in the Tamiya packs for weight you can't :(

Edit: you know its time for bed when I didn't catch Vic's post initially, so I'll just +4 it :D

Last edited:
I think the small piece of the iridium would be enough for using as a weight. ;)

I once tried using slices of Hippocroccofrog (the heaviest creature known to man), but the slime ruined the paintwork of the model ....
But seriously, the lead-shot fishing weights are the answer, and easier to obtain than shotgun pellets in Europe!

LOL I thought Uranium also but that would make the model glow and that's real bad for realism.

Bought some split shot sinkers. Will glue those with wood glue seems to do the trick also, according to several other sites/fora

Users who are viewing this thread

Back