Where were you/what were you doing when....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

New one!

Where were you/what were you doing when.... The Cold War ended on the On December 31, 1991. I use that date, as the USSR officially dissolved, breaking up into fifteen separate nations then.

I know, Happy New Year! :lol:

I know I was at my Uncles house because of the families New Years party, but I don't remember what exactly I was doing, except watching CNN. I remember watching it all unfold on CNN.

1. St. Helen's eruption: I was attending school in Boulder CO and awoke the morning after the eruption to see my car covered in about an eigth of an inch thick film of volcanic ash.

2. December 31, 1991? No idea. probably asleeping at home, which is pretty much what I am about to do right now.

I had purchased a gas station/ convenience store earlier that year and was writing out a check for 50k for new tanks and a venting system that the state of N.C. was going to require and later decided wasn't necessary, but wouldn't give me credit for installing.
And waking up with a hang over next to some old skank.

I remember working at my part-time job in a hardware store listening to the radio and amazed at the news. All my life was the Cold War and now it was just gone. I was amazed more than relieved.

I think I was in the bar at a hotel in the ski resort of Morzine at the time. Ah, the days when I could ski! Can hardly bl**dy walk these days!

May 18, 1980, 1532Z: I was in the left seat of a Beech Sierra being "taught" 720° descending spirals by a CFI candidate whom I was giving his final phase check to before sending him off to the Feds for his flight test. (He passed!)
Dec 31, 1991: Hauling packages for UPS in an old beat up Canadian registered P.O.S. Beech 99. (Freight Dogs of the world unite! Join ALPO, the Airfreight Line Pilots Organization!)
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
I recall it very well. I was 34 and in my 4th year or graduate school at University of Colorado in Boulder. The day after, my Mazda RX-4 in the family-student housing parking lot was covered with a quarter inch of Mount St. Helens volcanic powder. I still have a sample of it in a small transparent vial on my display case. It brought to mind the time in 1972 when, while stationed at NAS Whidbey Island, Washington, I passed up an opportunity to climb to the top of the mountain with a squadron-mate. He told me later climbing to the top was terribly difficult because the powder was so deep on the slopes that he could make little headway up the mountain, each step slipping back half the distance he had just stepped forward.

I was reading Lord of the Rings books. I remember hearing on the radio that it blew along with hearing about a guy that wouldn't leave... He's gone too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back