Which Air Force would you have liked to fly with in WW2

Which Air

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Just a thread. Which air force and why? And what plane would you have liked to flown in?

I would say, personally, Luftwaffe. I think they had great a arsenal of aircraft that were very lethal. I would've liked to flown in a He-111 bomber.

(Hey I typed in for the title, which Air Force and it only came out, which air. )

I searched to see if a thread like this was already started. There wasn't.

I know AVG wasn't an Air Force, but I thought they should be included.

Last edited:
The Luftwaffe until 1944. They had amazing aircraft. Period. They had fantastic pilots. Period.

They had evil and horrible leadership thankfully which eventually sunk them. Plus the Russians on one side, the Americans, Brits, French, Italians and just about everyone else on the other...

After 1944, stick me with the Americans or Russians.

Just a thread. Which air force and why? And what plane would you have liked to flown in?

I would say, personally, Luftwaffe. I think they had great a arsenal of aircraft that were very lethal. I would've liked to flown in a He-111 bomber.

(Hey I typed in for the title, which Air Force and it only came out, which air. )

I searched to see if a thread like this was already started. There wasn't.

I know AVG wasn't an Air Force, but I thought they should be included.
Tough question, tough decision...

I am an American, and my first instinct is naturally to fly American. I also have deep German ancestry, and that's my second choice, but that would be a tough one, because the German pilots were at war longer than the U.S. and the pilots flew more than one sortie perday...and there was no "50 mission" rotation policy...they were there for the duration.

(By the way, there were 10 Axis airforces and 19 Allied airforces that fought at some point during the war)

My choice would be one of the following:

1. The Luftwaffe. Purely because of the aircraft and because of my interest in the history of it.

2. US Navy in a PBY unit on anti sub duty in the Caribbean. Beaches, Cocktails and Women...

I would go US for at least three reasons.

The first was Training. Just about every pilot was in training for a year from pre-flight through Advanced and the weather for training enabled not just US but also RAF, RCAF, etc pilot training to be accomodated.

The second reason was sheer variety, numbers and quality of aircraft coming off assembly lines in 1943 - unmolested by Axis.

Resources. Material, factories, methods, new tooling and skilled personnel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back