which aircraft thrilled you the most to see flying

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
after reading the comments on V2's third lanc thread i was wondering which aircraft were you most thrilled to see in the flesh so to speak ?
i'm glad i've seen the lancaster, hurricane and spitfire also the meteor and vampire, and from after WW2 era i was amazed at watching the vulcan and english electric lightning

B-17 without a doubt. A beautiful airframe, the sound of four Wright Cyclones and all those .50s.

TO

There is nothing like seeing a B-24 or B-17 but the plane that surprised me the most was the C-17! It performed some VERY agile maneuvers. I was expecting to see a lumbering beast like a C-130 or C-141 but the C-17 performs marvelously.

The B17 and B24 from the collins foundation. Not only did I see them flying, I rode in them.

I would also say the CAF B29 when it was flying was one impressive site!

I saw two F-104s at Reno one year. That was a sight.

Attachments

• 2539283319_ba655528b2.jpg
    2539283319_ba655528b2.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 241
At Galveston...Corsair, Hellcat, Bearcat, Zero, B-17. The P-38 Putt Putt Maru had mechanical problems and didn't fly sob

Vulcan, Mustang, Vampire [my first jet]8)

Still waiting, for the 10th time in succession the Fairey Swordfish was not flying at an airshow I went to. This time it was Duxford FL so to consol myself I bought a strut from the nose frame and will mount it on a nice piece of polished wood in my study.
Only 27,000 more bits to get and I can build my own Stringbag:rolleyes:

Just recently saw a B17 flying close to my house and either a Mig17 or 19 painted red fly by real close and low over my house coming out of Cenntenial airport.Probably the best was when I was visiting France a long time ago near Metz two flights of 3 Mirage 3s came blasting by the road we were on at just about tree top level. Of course f-16s out of Buckley seem to form over my house when there's a special game or event here in Colorado and that's always cool.

two flights of 3 Mirage 3s came blasting by the road we were on at just about tree top level. Of course f-16s out of Buckley seem to form over my house when there's a special game or event here in Colorado and that's always cool.

That reminds me..

several years ago.. i was fishing at a lake in the high sierras when 2 A4 skyhawks came ripping over very low at a high rate of speed.

AWESOME

To many to choose from. One year, Lufthansa had a Ju-52 touring the USA. I happend to be at the airport the day in came in. There was the also the time I looked up and to my surprise saw a Lancaster flying in the Houston area. Last spring I saw a P-51 making a high speed pass, amazing. Oldwizard, next time you are in Galveston, send me an email. I will by you a beer.

DBII

B-29 FiFi at Harlingen in 1975. There you go; 33 years later and it still gives me goose bumps to recall the mighty depth of its rumble. It made my TB-25N
seem like a Ford Fiesta.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back