Which is best...? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Exotic machine.
Mazda MX5 has captured the spirit of Lotus cars if not the soul. For most its near enough and good to enjoy in the real world.

English or 'merican?

We got the twin carb version which was way down on power compared to the European ones. While my TR 250 ('merican TR 5) was smoother and a bit more torquey than my old TR-3 (with a TR-4A engine) I don't think ultimate performance was much better (although wind-up glass side windows are nice in winter).

We lost the export initiative for sports cars. No one seemed to realise that quality, reliability and taking account of things like the USA emissions laws should have addressed before the cars were exported.
The ride height on the MGB was hard to overcome and spoilt the car.

But, for a mans sports car the TR range is very hard to beat.

"... But, for a mans sports car the TR range is very hard to beat."

They were indeed, in the UK and on the Continent, but in the great spaces of the New World they were 'toy' cars. Detroit has built lots of crap but it has never built 'toys', IMHO. :)

MM

"... But, for a mans sports car the TR range is very hard to beat."

They were indeed, in the UK and on the Continent, but in the great spaces of the New World they were 'toy' cars. Detroit has built lots of crap but it has never built 'toys', IMHO. :)

MM

I think you miss the point of a small lithe sports car Michael. They are supposed to be fun ( relative) performance cars that are affordable. Tune them up, have a tinker and they are competitive in club class motor sport.
Would anyone choose to cross America in a TR6? Probably not. But, the journey would be an adventure :)

Rumor has it that some TR-3/4 engine parts came in boxes marked " For Triumph cars or Ferguson tractors". Those who have heard a TR-3/4 without muffler might not doubt it. :)

Size of the crankshaft surprised friends used to working on American V-8s.

I would have bet on a TR-3 managing to cross the United States without much mechanical trouble. Electrical, odd bits and pieces falling off and driver/passenger kidneys might be another story :)

Rumor has it that some TR-3/4 engine parts came in boxes marked " For Triumph cars or Ferguson tractors". Those who have heard a TR-3/4 without muffler might not doubt it. :)

Size of the crankshaft surprised friends used to working on American V-8s.

I would have bet on a TR-3 managing to cross the United States without much mechanical trouble. Electrical, odd bits and pieces falling off and driver/passenger kidneys might be another story :)

The engine was another post war mother of necessity. Still, it did the job in a gruff way that enthralled ( and this does).
I'd risk the kidneys for an adventure like crossing America in a TR3. :)

I like a Lotus 7 with a decent engine and good tires and brakes.

These's nothing like it ... unless it is wet outside ...

Then even a Nash Metropolitan is better since it has a top and doesn't leak.

I want to do one with a bridge-ported Mazda 13B rotary in it with about 230 HP on tap and a Mazda5 or 6 speed transmission. Disc brakes of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back