Which plane do you think was the best air to air combat and at nose diving (1 Viewer)

Which plane do you think was the best air to air combat and at nose diving

• A6m zero

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bf190

• P 39

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Xdominick97

Airman
Mar 27, 2012
I was just wondering what you think please comment and vote

We need instantaneous dive rate data before we can render an intelligent opinion as to which aircraft could make the best use of that aerial maneuver.

I protest the unrelated dual components of the question. And the lack of enough choices. And the inclusion of a fictional aircraft in the choices. But the P-47 is the obvious choice.

Entertaining show. I think I've seen all the episodes. However I have my doubts about historical accuracy. :)

Its FW-190 or bf-109,not bf-190.

Well aaaactually its "Fw 190" and "Bf 109" (no hyphen in case you hadn't spotted). I'd also like to include the Hawker Tempest, Hawker Typhoon, P-51B, Me 262, CAC Boomerang, F4U, Spitfire XIV specifically, Hurricane IIc, P-40, Yak-3, F6F... the inclusion of these (and more...) types would make the poll a whole lot more interesting.

How do you know? What is the instantaneous dive rate for the P-47C and P-47D?

Because of all the books that say so. The only way anybody like me who "wasn't there" can know anything. I realize the Bf 109 was also known for its diving abilities, but it wasn't quite listed as an option, and the P-47 is reported to be the first aircraft to break the sound barrier in a dive. ("needs citation")

Books that make general statements unsupported by historical data or first hand accounts aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

I doubt that. However I might believe it was the first American fighter aircraft to encounter compressability.

It was the first aircraft to encounter compressibility and have it widely reported, however given the time and date this happened it could very well the first aircraft to encounter compressibility;

"During a test flight in May 1941, USAAC Major Signa Gilkey managed to stay with a YP-38 in a compressibility lockup, riding it out until he recovered gradually using elevator trim."

Was the Me-109 a strong enough design to be able to dive to near compressability, and not have any damage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back