"Whispering death" by Mark Johnston

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildcat

Major
Apr 11, 2005
South East Queensland
First of all can I say this was a great read! This 513 page book is a "warts an all" overview of the RAAF in the Pacific from its humble (and pathetic) beginnings to the effective and efficient fighting force it had evolved to at the end of the war. All the major aspects of the RAAF are explored - the campaigns that were fought, aircraft used, leadership issues, areas served as well as the exploits and courage of the aircrews. The book is written in an easy to read style, making it both highly educational as well as entertaining. Follow the RAAF from Malaya and Singapore, through the NEI's to Darwin then onto New Guinea, New Britain and finally Borneo.
The appendices contain a list of individual and squadron combat claims, aces and types and numbers of Japanese aircraft shot down.
I highly recommended this book to those interested in the PTO and I believe it would make a great starting point for those wanting to learn about the RAAF experiance in the Pacific - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Attachments

• Whispering%20Death.jpg
    Whispering%20Death.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 215
I also can highly recommend the book. What interested me the most was list of claims / kills by the RAAF in the pacific war. Never seen that anywhere else before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back