White 13 mishap

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pbfoot

1st Lieutenant
Apr 14, 2005
niagara falls
White 13 the Russell Grroup 109E4 while being piloted by John Romaine struck a flag pole on take off that was put up at the end of the runway on Russells private airstrip by a NIMBYest neighbour , the aircraft landed safely and is reapairable
You can see theflag pole and another one just off the starboard wing of the landing Hurricane, He also had a snorkel lift and pole at the end of 2 other runways

Attachments

• IMG_3088 1.jpg
    IMG_3088 1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 147
Yeah it certainly is strange. Very lucky to get away with it, surprised there isn't more damage although it is good to see that the damage isn't as bad as it good be and it will be repaired. Costly error though but surely good of been more costly.

It's very strange. I just can't figure out how he hit the pole if that's all he got. You'd think the wing would of come off, or if that's all he got he would have gone into a spin.

I'm guessing the pole snapped, bent, or fell.
I'd suggest finding that stupid NIMBY, put him in the back of a C47, or even a C130, fly him over the beaches of Normandy and, just before pushing him out of the open door, preferably without being hooked up, shout in his stupid ear "THIS is what those aircraft and airfield are all about, you f*****g moron!"

Im guessing he hit it towards the top of the flag pole and the pole flexed like its suppose to. Im guessing the whole wing will now have to come off for inspection to see if any damage was done internally to where it connects to the fuselage.

If he erected them and not told the airstrip about them then I'm betting the FAA will be having a few unkind words to say to the neighbor and maybe a few fines to go with it.

If he erected them and not told the airstrip about them then I'm betting the FAA will be having a few unkind words to say to the neighbor and maybe a few fines to go with it.
Transport Canada is the body responsible , IIRC the airport is private and as such it does not fall under their domain in such matters , IMHO the pilot will have to carry some of the blame as he knew the obstructions were there.

Transport Canada is the body responsible , IIRC the airport is private and as such it does not fall under their domain in such matters , IMHO the pilot will have to carry some of the blame as he knew the obstructions were there.

Interesting pdfoot, I would have to agree then if the pilot new that the pole was there he is part to blame. Mighty exspensive lesson thats for sure.

Interesting pdfoot, I would have to agree then if the pilot new that the pole was there he is part to blame. Mighty exspensive lesson thats for sure.
now don't take this as gospel but there is a lot of paperwork and surveys and such to change the status the only reason it is an "airport" is IIRC it was an auxillary field during WW2 and over the years it status and zoning never changed

now don't take this as gospel but there is a lot of paperwork and surveys and such to change the status the only reason it is an "airport" is IIRC it was an auxillary field during WW2 and over the years it status and zoning never changed

No worries there mate, though some how I get the feeling that a feud may take place but could be wrong. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back