White hazing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PCScipio42

Airman 1st Class
May 9, 2012
Baltimore
I was applying matte finish overcoat on a plane today and ended up with a white haze afterwards. Anyone care to enlighten me as to what I did wrong?

Did it happen to be an acrylic matte clear coat? I know too much matte acrylic sometimes leads to a white haze. Perhaps a reaction of sorts between the clear coat and underlying paint layers can lead to this result as well, perhaps more so when underlying paint coats or gloss coats aren't completely dry and cured (at least 24 hours)

This happened to me once when applying Testors Dullcoat over Future. Never had issues except for this one time and fortunately it disappeared after repeated applications of the dullcoat. The main thing is not to panic as it could be salvageable. Let us know the products you used and the sequence. Wojtek should be along with some sound advice.

P-40 camo with flat enamels and then Future. I'll apply more coats and see what happens. Thanks.

Did you us the Future to mix with Flat Base in order to make a matt clear coat? If so, it sounds like too much Flat Base was added. Re-mix, using less Flat, and test on a piece of painted scrap until the desired result is achieved. The hazing should disappear once re-coated.

I might have applied the Future too early. I didn't mix the matte coat with Future. It's a matte coat Model Master thinned a bit with thinner. Maybe a 3:1 future/matte might work. Suggestions on ratio?

In that case, it's probably been caused by the matt varnish not being fully stirred. It can sometimes take a lot of stirring, with any type or brand of matt varnish, enamel or acrylic, to get the matting agent to fully mix into the carrier.
A 3:1 ratio is a good start point for mixing Future with Tamiya Flat Base (Not with a ready to use matt clear coat), but as mentioned, mix some and test it, adjusting the ratio as required.

In that case, it's probably been caused by the matt varnish not being fully stirred.

I'll second that. It can happen with any type of varnish when the matting agent (a bit like talcum powder) is not fully incorporated into the rest of the medium.

Cheers

Steve

I might have applied the Future too early. It's a matte coat Model Master thinned a bit with thinner.

And this is the reason for the white deposit appearing ..... You applied the Future at a correct moment making an undercoat for applying decals didn't you? Then you airbrushed the ModelMaster matt coat thinned with the MM thinner overall , right?

I have already mentioned it many times here in the forum. But I'll do it again..... no problem for me.
I have to be patient, Good Lord , I have to be patient.... :lol:

It is always possible to apply an acrylic water paint over an enamel but never inversely !!!

The thinner contained in an enamel or the kind of a varnish ( clear matt , gloss ) and also the one addded to an enamel always causes the problem including making damages to an applied acrylic coat (paints).
Therefore you should have used an acrylic water thinned clear coat ( matt or gloss, never mind ) because the Future is nothing more than an acrylic gloss water thinned varnish ( lacquer, dope ).

All is well....applied a few coats of Future and most of the white haze disappeared. Will post before and after pictures tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for their kind advice on how to rectify the problem and what caused it.

Before and after shots of hazing being somewhat rectified.
Planes 039.jpg

Thanks...this poor plane should be called "Tale of a Guinea Pig". First time using an airbrush, masking a canopy, weathering, and using putty to fill seam lines. Learned quite a bit, and it came out decent overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back