White knuckle helicopter landing in rough seas (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow! Sod that for a game of soldiers!
I think I would have gone home instead!! Great bit of flying, and I bet the 'flag man' was relieved too !

I bet he was frustrated. He gave the cue for the pilot to land earlier on and he didn't, but its the pilots call at the end of the day. As they say all's well that ends well, and they both deserve the credit.

Yeesh! Time for a beer and a change of shorts! Not necessarily in that order.

Didn't somebody at one time have a system for pitching-deck helicopter recovery where the helicopter would lower a cable with a hook, someone would hook the cable to the deck, and the helicopter would then "winch" itself down onto the deck? I remember seeing a video of that, and thinking "they're screwed if the wind blows them sideways into the superstructure or over the railing...they couldn't take evasive actions".

There was something called the Beartrap designed by the Canadian Navy which operated along the lines you mention but some navies used a probe once the helicopter was on the deck to stop it sliding off.

I wonder who got the job of helping the pilot to un-pucker his arse off of the seat? I know mine would have been well suctioned on.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back