white waltham airfield

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
i'm thinking of putting together a layout of white waltham airfield [i grew up in the village]using my collection of trainers and wondered if anyone knew where i could find a airspeed oxford/avro 504 and fairchild argos model kits in 1/72nd,

cheers bob

Last edited:
There used to be an Oxford in the old Frog range, and I think an Argos too. The majority of these kits have just been re-released under the 'Ark Models' label, so you might be in luck. Have a look at the Hannant's and Model Hobbies web-sites. The Avro 504 was done by Airfix, back in the mid to late 1960s, and might still be current.
That'll be one huge diorama if you do the whole airfield!!!

thanks for that,i'm not planing on the whole airfield as its the largest grass airfield in europe just the flight line and maybe one front of a hanger,i am also wondering if i could wall mount this like a photograph in a frame,any thoughts chaps.I have already started the aircraft building but as they arn't as detailed as everybody else's i didn't think others would be interested,so far i have built 8-9 aircraft for the display,

dh dove/harvard/proctor/gipsy moth/tiger moth/master + hotspur glider/dc-3/fairey rotodyne/avro anson

Not sure it's the largest grass field in Europe, or UK, given the 'Expansion Period', where major fields were large, and still mainly grass (hard runways beginning circa 1941/2), but still a daunting project.
I'd need to check the details for 'Walthams' hangars etc, but in 1/72nd scale, with even one average hangar, even with a small frontage and edge 'ground work', you're looking at a minimum of 5 to 8 feet width, if keeping things in scale, with room to display aircraft 'in scale' positions.
Bear in mind that 100 feet = approx 17 inches in 72 scale, with even the smallest 'permanent' hangar having a frontage of around 125 - 150 feet, then, to get a scale 'view', it needs a heck of a lot of room - in width and depth !

white waltham is just up the road from me,as i said i'm not quite sure how to do this but i'm thinking about a wall mounted construction laid out like a picture of the main flight line and fronts of the hangers/control tower/clubhouse,the hangers n/r the flight line at waltham are quite small compered to other airfield,i would guess the whole display/pic mounting will be approx 6' x 4' with a depth of 8-9'' to get the hanger height in,i'm at present building a large extention at home and this is to go on the wall in my new study/office just to be different

Sounds great, the type of thing I've wanted to do for nearly 50 years! Even started it, with a conversion to the Airfix control tower and some other bits n pieces.

why not go for it yourself,we can share notes as we proceed,i've spent the last year very ill with kidney problems and its made me wake up to the fact that you can't put thiings off as we don't know how long we have to live,life is for living

Problem is, when I wanted to do it, I had the space to put it, but not the time. Now, after divorce and a move to a smaller house, and disability, I have the time, but not the space !

sorry to hear you have had a hard time of it,i suppose i've been quite lucky regarding my statius nowdays as i now have plenty of room to do what i wish,i've also the most wonderful partner in the world who supports me right or wrong in all i do but it took me 3 goe's to find her,

bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back