Who Makes the Best 1:48 Kits?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Negative Creep

Staff Sergeant
Apr 1, 2007
New Zealand
Having moved into 1:48 for all but the big stuff, I'm looking at getting some more kits to keep me busy over the next few months. Only slight problem with this scale is that the kits cost more so I'm a bit reluctant to spend £15 on something that turns out to be a 1970's re-issue with raised panel lines and no detail. The no-brainer would be Tamiya but their range is fairly limited. Airfix, Hasegawa and Revell seem to be a mixed bag ranging from great to horrid. I've bought an Eduard P-40 which looks very good but haven't started it yet and again they don't make that many kits. Does anyone have experience of ICM or Accurate Miniatures?

Alternatively, I'll be looking to eventually make the usual suspects of a P-51 (early and late), P-47, P-38, FW 190D, Spitfire (again, early and late), Hurricane, Corsair, Hellcat, Tony and Wildcat. So who makes the best 1:48 of each? I'm not one of those who's obsessed with accuracy, just as long as there's a good amount of detail and doesn't need half a tub of filler. Oh, and no raised panel lines either! Cheers!

HI NC,
It is not easy to answer your question.Why?
Now it is common that many madel-makers offer models of other firms in their own boxes.For instance I bought Revell 1:48 Spitfire Mk.IX and when opened the box I've found there a Hasegawa one.The kind of surprises you can find in many cases.ICM madels are quite good quality but also there you can find models with problems.The main of them is plastic,often at many places there are collapsed areas so a putty is needed.They are quite accurate but sometimes small details are incorrect in a shape.If you are patient and can't afford those much more expensive I can suggest these kits.

Hasegawa offers very good quality models,but also there you can find some problems.Generally these kits are ones of the best.

For me the best models are offered by Tamiya.Unfortunately a price for them isn't always fair.But these models are assembled like Legos.I suggested them strongly.

Models of Eduard firm can be in competition with the Japanese ones.Not only with prices but also with quality.So if you can afford them get them.

This is my opinion only and other members can have their own.:)

I actually find Hasegawa overpriced compared to Tamiya. In Australia anyway.

Hard choice though I must say and I'd have to Tamiya for my pick. LIke Wurger said they are like lego, i think the Mk1 Spitfire is possibly the easiest kit to put together from them.

For me

Tamiya and eBay for 1/48 with patience.

Hasegawa for 1/32, same idea

I have been stockpiling with those two in WWII kits.

I also agree with Heinz.The Tamiya kits have become cheaper than Hasegawa ones recently.This makes them much more attractive for us.

I've forgotten to mention about the Chinese firm TRUMPETER.Models of the firm have become ones of very good quality for a low price.Especially these kits in 1:32 and 1:24 scales but not only.For instance,there is Wellington 1:72 scale at my friend's shop and I could have a look at the kit.The old Italeri model and others are nothing compared to the kit.In my opinion Trumpeter kits also can be very good choice.

to me i think revell/monogram have produced some excellent 1/48 kits in the past which are good fitting,i've made just about made every 1/48 usaaf/raf/german bombers and these all fitted nice, not done any jets though, the airfix 1/48 bac lightning is a brill kit.

the trumpeter 1/48 wellington is a nice kit but is full of mistakes which could have been rectified before going into mass production. :|

...ian.

Unfortunately it is true.Trumpeter's kits aren't on the same level of quality.
But Revell/Monogram ones are the same.

I really like the Academy kits. My Avenger was very well-detailed, came with canopy masks, and went together nicely:

Attachments

• Avenger 1.JPG
    Avenger 1.JPG
    200.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Avenger 2.JPG
    Avenger 2.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 243
First post for me so here goes.
Tamiya happens to be my choice although there are a lot of nice kits out there. I am just getting back into building models again and find it very time consuming(in a good way) and find it hard to balance my other hobbies. When I finally do post some model pics kudos and criticism will be welcome. I see most of you have more talent than me.

I really like Academy and havent really encounted any problems with their decals as yet. For 1:72scale they'd get my vote. However thats irrelevant as this thread is about 1:48 so I'll just be quiet now :lol:

I really like Academy and havent really encounted any problems with their decals as yet. For 1:72scale they'd get my vote. However thats irrelevant as this thread is about 1:48 so I'll just be quiet now :lol:

I've only made 2 Academy 1:73 kits, a Spitfire XIV and Typhoon; the kits were great but the decals were awful

MicroSet and MicroSol liquids make them better sometimes.But generally it is true,Academy decals are awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back