Here's a pair of hypothesis I would like the experts to answer for me:
Part 1: For a tail dragger aircraft, to allow it to stop short, my take would be that I would for the wing to 'stall' just as I touched down in 3 point stance (maybe a little before 3 point angle of attack to allow some compression of landing gear - principally main). That way, the full weight of the aircraft is on the wheels. In addition, I would like the weight to be biased to tail wheel (main landing gear forward). The combination would allow the pilot to 'stand on the brakes', minimizing stopping distance. Reasonable or am I missing something?
Part 2 (assumes part 1 is correct): As Spitfire, Hurricane, Bf.109 were originally designed for short, often (wet) grass fields do the aforementioned planes stall in landing/put proportionately more on tailwheel than those planes designed to operate from long, hard surface runways? The FiSk.199 leads me to believe the Bf.109 was stalled.
There is corollary which says if Spitfire stalled normally upon landing, when the arresting gear lifts the tail wheel of the Seafire, it could cause the wing to 'un-stall' and the plane to resume flying - only to be pull up short (and land really hard). Which would also say Bf.109T would be every bit as bad (or worse) than Seafire as carrier plane for landing.
Alternative: If Wildcat wing isn't stalled in its landing stance, the arresting gear merely reduces the AoA when tailwheel is raised, so no (reduced) tendency to bounce off the deck. Which makes it a better carrier airplane.
P.s. I hated when in my engineering 300 classes midterm that you had to get the answer correct to the 1st question as the 2nd question used that answer. Only 1 person in class got 1st question correct; hopefully, I at least get 1st part right.
The jacket is handy.