Why....?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
...is that the American TV channels blurr out names, numbers etc. on t-shirts, machines, baseball caps and many other things? Was watching From Wrecks to Riches US on Discovery this morning where they've even blurred out the name on the disc brakes....what's the idea behind this fellas? I can't remember see it anywhere else....:| :confused: :lol:

So the manufacturers of those products don't get free advertising?? A popular show would have millions of viewers, nice way to get your brandname on the screen without paying the network a penny.

I was just guessing, you're probably more correct FlyboyJ.

The manufacturers could also sue for use of their logos.
Why on earth would they do that? Like the show that I was watching, here they're building a new replica of an early 60's Parnelli Jones Mercury Marauder NASCAR racer, which in the end Mr Jones signs....isn't that good PR? :eek: :confused: :lol:

Confusing! :lol:

Why on earth would they do that? Like the show that I was watching, here they're building a new replica of an early 60's Parnelli Jones Mercury Marauder NASCAR racer, which in the end Mr Jones signs....isn't that good PR? :eek: :confused: :lol:

In that case, yes it would be good advertising. But if you're doing a segment on the Son of Sam or Jeffery Dhamer, and they happen to be taking a nice satisfying swig of Coca Cola in that particular clip, then that's negative publicity. So, in order to cover their butts, the networks simply blur out all names unless the company pays for product-placement. Simply put......its a very big opportunity for the networks to make some very big bucks, and it doesn't cost them much of anything at all.

...is that the American TV channels blurr out names, numbers etc. on t-shirts, machines, baseball caps and many other things? Was watching From Wrecks to Riches US on Discovery this morning where they've even blurred out the name on the disc brakes....what's the idea behind this fellas? I can't remember see it anywhere else....:| :confused: :lol:

Great show. I own both seasons on DVD

I noticed the same thing when I watch "MythBusters"... They even blurried the logo of the baseball team on the cap of an explosive expert that was invited to the show to blow something up...

It's all due to Copy Right infringement and not getting the "rights" to display the Companies Name or Logo. Wouldn't want to get sued by one of our numerous Laws firms in the good old US for displaying a logo without permission.
Getting to the point where you can't even sit on the toilet without wearing a seatbelt and getting a clearance from the EPA (Evrironmental Protection Agency for those is Rio Linda) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back