Willi Resche´s Tempest kill from April 14,1945 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry man, I spent 30 minutes searchin and thats all I got.... W/O Mitchell isnt exactly a popular guy other than being shot down by the best prop job of WW2, by one of its best pilots...

You better than me. I haven´t found anything about him, only few words...
Maybe some New Zealanders could help out with him...
Thank you for trying to help me!

Roman I have been working on it the last 4 days inbeetween working high in the trees.

trying to isolate those P-51 vet pilots that want to talk of their experiences instead of trying to just blow me off and not say a word or ignore my mails, and I understand fully why they get so much demanding spam from autograph collectors

this is what i´ve found in my files, copied somewhere from internet...

It was the 14th April 1945 and the war against Germany was rapidly drawing to an end. A young New Zealander from Nelson, Warrant Officer Owen Mitchell, had found that he was centre-stage to the death-throes of a nation.
An excellent cricketer and sensitive musician Mitchell had joined the RNZAF in 1942 directly from University where he had been studying engineering. At 20 years of age the young pilot transferred to England where, after training, he started to accumulate flying hours as an instructor and pilot with various Operational Training Units.
By early 1945 Mitchell had over 700 hours to his credit and was converted onto the latest fighter in the RAF inventory - the Hawker Tempest V. The next step was operational flying and he was delighted, when in early March he found that he had been posted to No. 486 (NZ) Squadron based at Volkel in Holland. The squadron was on the front-line and coming into daily contact with a still very efficient Luftwaffe as well as fierce anti-aircraft fire.
By early April the squadron had moved into Germany itself and was using their base at Hopsten to harass the enemy both in the air and on the ground.
At the German base of Neustadt-Glewe, Oberfeldwebel Sattler was also delighted with his new posting - to the elite Luftwaffe unit called the Stabsschwarm (part of JG301). They were flying the latest German fighter and ultimate development of the Focke Wulf 190 series of aircraft - the Ta-152.
At 6-25pm on the evening of the 14th Mitchell and three others from his squadron took off on an armed reconnaissance of the area. The section attacked a train north of Ludwigslust and then became split up. The leader and his number two ordering Sid Short and Owen Mitchell to make their own ways home.
Short and Mitchell, busily strafing along the rail tracks nearby on their way home, came under the watchful eye of lookouts at Neustadt-Glewe who immediately despatched three Ta-152 to intercept. The pilots - Aufhammer, Sattler and Reschke were on the scene in seconds. Reschke takes up the story;
"Flying in No.3 position I witnessed Oberfeldwebel Sattler ahead of me dive into the ground seconds before we reached them. It seemed impossible for the crash to be from enemy action."
Unknown to Reschke the New Zealander Short had managed to fire at Sattler in a quick pass before being attacked by Aufhammer. Friend and foe now started a turning match that seemed to last forever. Neither could gain the advantage and after 15 minutes the two pilots broke away and returned to their respective bases - glad to be able to fly home in one piece.
In the meantime Reschke and Mitchell were also in mortal combat.
"So now it was two against two as the ground level dogfight began. We knew the Tempest to be a very fast fighter, used by the British to chase and shoot down our V-1's/ But here, in a fight which was never to climb above 50 metres, speed would not play a big part. The machines ability to turn would be all important.
Pulling ever-tighter turns I got closer and closer to the Tempest, never once feeling I was even approaching the limit of the Ta's capabilities. And in order to keep out of my sights the Tempest pilot was being forced to take increasingly dangerous evasive action. When he flicked over onto the opposite wing I knew his last attempt to turn inside me had failed.
The first burst of fire from my Ta-152 caught the Tempest in the tail and rear fuselage. The enemy aircraft shuddered noticeably and, probably as an instinctive reaction, the Tempest pilot immediately yoked into a starboard turn, giving me an even greater advantage.
Now there was no escape for the Tempest. I pressed my gun buttons a second time, but after a few rounds my weapons fell silent, and despite all my efforts to clear them, refused to fire another shot. I can no longer remember just who and what I didn't curse. But fortunately the Tempest pilot did not recognise my predicament as he'd already taken hits.
Instead he continued desperately to twist and turn and I positioned myself so that I was always just within his field of vision. Eventually - inevitably he stalled. The Tempest's left wing dropped and he crashed into the woods immediately below us."
The young New Zealander was killed instantly and in a quirk of fate his aircraft crashed less than 500 metres from the German pilot Sattler. The Luftwaffe technicians recovered the two pilots' bodies that evening.
The next day Mitchell and Sattler were buried side by side with full military honours in the Cemetery Neustadt-Glewe. During the funeral Oberfeldwebel Willi Reschke stood guard of honour in front of the coffins.
It is fitting to end this story here by allowing these two relatively unknown pilots - each flying arguably the most advanced piston-engined fighter produced by their respective nations to see service in the air war over Western Europe - to represent the many thousands on both sides who had gone before.
Footnote:
In 1947 the body of Owen James Mitchell was reinterred in the British Military Cemetery in Heerstrasse, Berlin. The Missing Research and Enquiry Unit who recovered the body in September 1947 noted;
"We visited the area (now in the Russian Zone) and found Body No. 1. This body was found to be clothed in khaki battledress and had New Zealand marked on the shoulder. The socks were RAF blue and the boots RAF escape type flying boots. On a handkerchief found in the pocket I found the name Pettitt in print letters, about Ľ inch high on the hem."
Owen Mitchell, the New Zealander from Nelson was killed 18 days before the end of hostilities.

yes Roman have that account with some slight variations was noting Willi's remarks on a video tape where he describes at least 15 minutes flying after that Tempest until it went down.

Sattlers crate cracked up due to a frozen engine

thanks for the account

yes Roman have that account with some slight variations was noting Willi's remarks on a video tape where he describes at least 15 minutes flying after that Tempest until it went down.

Sattlers crate cracked up due to a frozen engine

thanks for the account

Frozen engine? I admit thats a new one on me, can you amplify this.

the supercharger malfunctioned and the engine seized ......aka froze up

the mishap was witnessed by many of JG 301 on the ground watching the battle above them.

Klar ? 8)

that depends does it not, if he was coming out of a dive and then no controls, the crate dropped like a heavy rock. same thing happened to my cousin in a Bf 110G-4, only quick action by him as the 110G winged over saved his crew from death, he went down with that stinking craft

Why would he lose controls because the supercharger goes? A 110 would have the the problem of power differentials.
Even if you you are in a dive and lose the engine there is no reason why the plane should go straight into a dive.

At the altitude mentioned by Willi Reschke, "not above 50 metres", I would guess there would be very little time, if any, for recovery. I saw this happen to a friend of mine; engine failure after take off, in a turn to starboard. Went straight in from about 200 feet, no chance ro recover, or probably even think about it. And that was in a small, light, relatively modern aircraft.
Of coure, in the case of the Ta152 concerned, there is also the chance that the pilot had been hit, after the quick burst from the Tempest.

At the altitude mentioned by Willi Reschke, "not above 50 metres", I would guess there would be very little time, if any, for recovery. I saw this happen to a friend of mine; engine failure after take off, in a turn to starboard. Went straight in from about 200 feet, no chance ro recover, or probably even think about it. And that was in a small, light, relatively modern aircraft.
Of coure, in the case of the Ta152 concerned, there is also the chance that the pilot had been hit, after the quick burst from the Tempest.

I am sorry about your friend, but an engine failure in a turn immediately after take off is always serious and often fatal.

However this 152 was up to speed and an engine failure wouldn't I believe make the plane suddenly nose dive into the ground.

However this 152 was up to speed and an engine failure wouldn't I believe make the plane suddenly nose dive into the ground.

Could be a question of perspective. Losing 50ft when your engine fails at 30K feet may be nothing but at 50Ft Altitude, it could appear to be a fatal nose dive. Just a thought.

What was the wing loading on the Ta-152? If it was a high load bird, it could drop like a stone. Last of the piston engined fighters were pretty hairy rides. Way tuned up.

My belief is that you don't suddenly lose a lot of speed when an engine supercharger goes, and you don't suddenly nose dive into the ground. Only a catastrophic failure of some kind, or in this case it was probably hit by the Tempest on a critical area.

Besides, how do we know that it was a supercharger failure? The plane went into the ground and I don't see a detailed investigation taking place with the war in such a chaotic situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back