Willi Reschke´s G-?, August 29th,1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I asked Willi this question- Willi have never used an emergency power on Bf,Fw and Ta. Never.

Does it mean, he never used MW either and we can support the hypothesis that white 6 wasn't equipped with MW-Anlage?

Dear Roman,

I love Bf 109 from technical point of view and do not feel good in documents, unit looses and so on. So I really like to share my oppinions with other enthusiast. Always good to learn more about that aircraft.

Thank You and good luck in Your research!

Kuba

Yeah, I absolutely agree! That´s why I showed these pictures as I just wanted to be sure, what is this version for, as lot of my friends told me that this is no G-6, but G-6AS version- and you can see, what happened. Even on that mentioned German forum:shock:

Just looking at it quickly Roman, and without reading any of the comments yet, it appears to have the type 8-009.320 rudder (that is, with large adjustable Flettner trim tab and two smaller ground adjusted tabs) and nose bulges a little ahead of and below the front exhaust stack that I would asociate with a standard Bf 109G-10.
Will have a look around though and will read you guys' comments too when I can, to see if there's evidence to the contrary.

Well I'll give my 2 cents. It's without a doubt not a G-10,K-4, or G-14/AS. the visable features rule these options out without a doubt. This mechine is either a early G-14 or a late G-6. As these two variants are very similer it would be very difficult to differ them with these photos.

With the upper cowling gun case buldges, no sign of lower cowling buldges, and what appears to the standered cord prop (VDM 12087) this is highly unlikely to have the AS or ASM power plant.

Interesting to note is the knock out on the erla hood canopy indcates this was not original to this 109. also the postion of the DF loop and Fug antenna look to be field installed add on's. it has the "tall tail" but small trim tabs, usually seen on G-6's (but not always). My thought on this is it's a late version standered G-6, nothing more as far as I can see.

I found this in one of my books. It could be a G-14 I my guess is Late version G-6.
109G-6.jpg

Thank you Phoenix for your opinion!
Do you really think this machine has a G-6 typical bulges? If so, why there´s a hole for a cold start device in the middle of the bulge, when it should be in front of the bulge? I think there´s no bulge, but just my opinion...
Damn, I wish I could have better pics but this is what I have. Gotta look for another pics yet, if available...

Attachments

• red circle.JPG
    red circle.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 137
Oh, that puts a damper on my comment..!!

What about the rudder though? Is it possible they tested the design on a G-6 already?

If G-6 (late) and G-6/AS are the only two options, then it's an AS, but I'd like to read the comments that exclude it from being a G-14/AS before giving my final opinion.

Oh, that puts a damper on my comment..!!

What about the rudder though? Is it possible they tested the design on a G-6 already?

If G-6 (late) and G-6/AS are the only two options, then it's an AS, but I'd like to read the comments that exclude it from being a G-14/AS before giving my final opinion.

Everything´s possible...a good friend of mine that is crazy for Bf´s and is able to tell you everything about the version, production year and factory often even without his his notes says it´s G-14/AS.
O.K. now I ask my question in another way- without knowing the pilot, the unit, the year-

IS IT USUAL DB605 ENGINE WITH BULGES ON THE ENGINE COVER OR IS IT DB605AS?

The redesigned large-bulged cowlings are (to my knowledge) only associated with DB 605AS engines (without bulges on the lower nose just aft of the prop) and DB 605D engines (with bulges).

The redesigned large-bulged cowlings are (to my knowledge) only associated with DB 605AS engines (without bulges on the lower nose just aft of the prop) and DB 605D engines (with bulges).

But back to my question- that machine on the pics is normal version or AS version? I repeat- I can´t see any bulges and even if someone thinks that this area in the red circle is a bulge, why there´s a hole for a cold start in the middle of the 'bulge'?
So my opinion is AS version...

if the photo was more Clear Roman then we could determine and that is the brunt of the story back to page 1 either a late term G-6 or an AS version of the G-6. Willis gruppe was disbanded and absorbed by JG 301 before the issuance of any G-14, G-14/AS

I struggled with that point seesul. in the one pic it has an outline of that looks like the buldges are there and in others they don't. the close up is just too fuzzy to make it out. I made my guess that it was not an AS powered due to the fact that too me the prop looks like the standered prop. Now of course due to the landing the prop is bent like a pretzel so I now think I may be worng in my first post.

I looking at AS powered G-6's and standerd G-6's and noticed a few things.
I forgot the refined cowling does buldge out and I think this is what we are seeing. the cowling hood seal does not bloat out like those of a G-6 with those large blisters. Second after looking to the 2 props, I'm not sure now I can tell which air screw that is all twisted up like that. ( If we had a good prop it would also tell us which power plant this bird had).

I'm now thinking it maybe an G-6/AS. But like erich said those poor quality photos just don't make it easy. usually when I try to ID something like this I also go with the odds. Odds are is a standered G-6. But you never know. Sorry I can be of more help. I know not much help.

Just to throw fuel on the fire. Is it possible to put a AS cowling on a standard version? What I mean is, with so much going on and parts being in short supply, is it possible they could have taken a cowling from an AS plane and placed it on a normal version just to have a cowling and get it back in the air?

Just to throw fuel on the fire. Is it possible to put a AS cowling on a standard version? What I mean is, with so much going on and parts being in short supply, is it possible they could have taken a cowling from an AS plane and placed it on a normal version just to have a cowling and get it back in the air?

Hi Njaco,
I had the same idea like you and asked one German expert for that few months ago on one German forum and he said that '' it´s impossible to have the machine with the big engine cowling (AS version) with the DB605A (AM) engine. There´s too many things to be modified and it was in fact impossible under field conditions''. You can see these words on page # 2 of this thread...
And here´s a link to that mentioned discussion on German forum LBB « Luftwaffe Bullet Board » Forum zur deutschen Luftfahrtgeschichte , sorry, in German...

Yep, good comment Roman. The more I read up on them, the more possibilities there are...starting to get confusing, between field rüstsaetze, factory modifications during production, and new machines fitted with old items for various reasons....

Yep, good comment Roman. The more I read up on them, the more possibilities there are...starting to get confusing, between field rüstsaetze, factory modifications during production, and new machines fitted with old items for various reasons....
:lol: :lol: what a mystery plane!
From time to time I drive tru Banov (small village where Willi crash landed) and there´s a former mayor who gave us all those pics. Next time (hope in two weeks) I gotta stop there and ask him if he has found another pics. I´ve promised him a copy of DVD with Willi taken 2 years ago, when Willi visited us here... So before I go there, I gotta burn it out...:oops:

Thanks Roman, I try to learn from threads like this but with my limited knowledge I feel I'm in the zoo looking out the cage at everyone passing by! :) It was just a thought. THX!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back