Wing Thickness - P-51B/C vs P-51D

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ronl

Airman
Dec 23, 2006
Can anyone confirm whether there was a difference in the wing thickness between the P-51B/C and the P-51D Mustang? I have read that the P-51D was modified to have a slightly thicker wing to allow for the upright installation of the three .50 cal machine guns to correct the jamming problems that occured in the P-51B/C (the two wing guns were mounted at an angle). However, I have also read that there was no difference in thickness and that the guns were just mounted upright with a redesigned feed system for the guns, and things worked fine.

Hoping someone can provide an answer to this question.

Thanks.

Ron

Can anyone confirm whether there was a difference in the wing thickness between the P-51B/C and the P-51D Mustang? I have read that the P-51D was modified to have a slightly thicker wing to allow for the upright installation of the three .50 cal machine guns to correct the jamming problems that occured in the P-51B/C (the two wing guns were mounted at an angle). However, I have also read that there was no difference in thickness and that the guns were just mounted upright with a redesigned feed system for the guns, and things worked fine.

Hoping someone can provide an answer to this question.

Thanks.

Ron
It was the latter case for the mounts.

The difference between the B/C and D wing was a longer root chord for the D to provide more room for re-designed leading edge to accomodate a different wheel door and uplock design.

The P-51H DiD have a different, and slightly thinner laminar flow wing, and had a straight leading edge all the way from fuselage to tip

Drgondog,

Thanks for the clarification.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back