Wing-tip drop tanks vs. 'regular' drop tanks? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I was never in a T-33 during a spin but from what I understand it's not that bad even with the tip tanks. I'm told there is a tendency for the aircraft to pitch up and become inverted.

I'd think it would delay recovery, at least. The increased mass at a large distance from the centre of the spin would increase the rotational inertia.

One of my AF buds trained in an AT-33 prior to assignment to an OV-10 in Vietnam. I remember a few things he said. Taxing with a castoring nose gear was an experience, every T-33 had a different cockpit layout, the yaw indicator for gunnery was a string tied to the nose, and, rolling with full wing tanks took a little extra to stop.

One of my AF buds trained in an AT-33 prior to assignment to an OV-10 in Vietnam. I remember a few things he said. Taxing with a castoring nose gear was an experience, every T-33 had a different cockpit layout, the yaw indicator for gunnery was a string tied to the nose, and, rolling with full wing tanks took a little extra to stop.

A friend (who was in AFROTC) got to take a demo flight in a T-33. He was about 6 ft 3 in, most of which seemed to be legs. When he was fastened into the aircraft, the ground crew man who did it took one look and said "don't eject; the instrument panel will take off your legs."

I would think the tip tanks would draw the fuel uniformly so as to not upset the aerodynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back