*** Winners – JUDGED COMPETITION GB 23 “ Winter War/Eastern front WWII” *** (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
The Winners for GB 23…..are!

Category 1 Beginner / Novice / Casual CATEGORY.

We had 4 completed entries in this Section this time around, good to see!

1st Place : Jeff Hunt - : Jeff for his 1/48 IL-2
2nd Place : Jeff Hunt - : Jeff for his 1/48 A-20 Havoc
3rd Place : Jeff Hunt - : Jeff for his 1/48 LaGG 3

Category 2 Intermediate / Casual CATEGORY.

This time around we had a Big increase in entries over the previous GB's with 12 completed entries in this section from our Members.

1st Place : Jkim - : John for his 1/48 Fw190A-4
2nd Place : Jkim - : John for his 1/48 Fw190D-9
3rd Place : le steph40 - : Stephane for his Ms 406

Category 3 Experienced / Expert CATEGORY.

3 Entries round out our More Experienced Category,

1st Place : Glenn - T Bolt : for his 1/48 Bf109F-2
2nd Place : George – Fubar57 : for his 1/48 Bf109F-2
3rd Place : George - Fubar57 : for his 1/48 I-16 Type 18

CONGRATULATIONS therefore go to Jeff, John and Glenn for their Winning entries and also to the second and Third place getters in each category.

A well done to those Members who found the time to participate in this Build, numbers increased this time around from the previous couple of GB's .

We once again appreciate the time and effort put in by all participants at the various levels, and the outstanding exchange of Information, Hints, Tips, Parts and Decals to those who required something to help their project, this alone shows the fantastic willingness of ALL to help each other and is the real backbone of the Group build experience

Please continue to support the Group Builds in any way you can whether you build something or just enjoy watching others do their stuff!

We all appreciate any input from any member so jump in if you have something to contribute.

We want this to be a friendly atmosphere and above all…..have FUN first and Foremost!
Thanks again goes out to…The Judging Panel for their time and effort !

Thank you to the judges. My strategy of throwing so much stuff at them to confuse them worked.

I had a ton of fun and just as importantly I learned a ton as well.

Thanks to everyone who participated and to those who provided help along the way.

This is as much fun as a fella can have ( with his clothes on ).

Cheers,

Jeff

Thank you very much and congrats to the other winners! I'm surprised that my A-4 got the nod over my D-9 but perhaps my wing decal snafu was too much to overlook? As I have never participated in a model show of any type, I'm curious as to what kind of things the judges look at. Andy was nice enough to point out the thing about my Dora's wing crosses not being lined up but I'm sure there are other things that I'm not aware of too.

Either way, I'm totally happy to be recognized by such a great group of modelers... all of the builds were great! I'm going to brag to my wife and kids about it when I get home! And I really want one of those banner things to go in my signature!!!!

Thanks to everyone here for building such a positive and fun community. Especially all of the long-timers, moderators and judges... I got off to a bit of a rocky start on that I-16 build but was quickly given wise counsel via PM which helped knock some sense into me.

Congratulations to all who placed in the top 3 and thanks to all who participated and who offered support.

I won't speak for all judges but in my case the placement of John's A-4 over the Dora is consistent with my scoring. The wing decal is what made the difference in this case and I considered this a pretty major miss.

For those interested, the judges score based on the general quality of fit (highest weighting) as well as paint finish, decal placement/finish, and overall impression. The latter 3 categories carry equal weight. For those wishing to improve their scores, pay more attention to the fit and placement of your parts. Some of the things I often see:

- Tailplanes that should be flat are built with a dihedral
- model axes are twisted (e.g tail/fuselage not 90 degrees to the wing axis)
- Antenna masts not vertical when they should be.
- Unsymmtrical landing gear and/or wheels pointing in different directions
- Visible seam lines
- Poor fit of clear parts
- Ordnance installed crooked or splayed

Paying attention and spending time to improve the fit of the parts of your model will go a long way to improving your placement. Of course, even a beautifully built model can be ruined by a poor paint job or poorly placed or silvered decals so it's all got to come together.

As I've stated before, I'd be happy to provide objective feedback to anyone seeking it to improve their modeling experience, either publicly in your thread or via PM.

Last edited:
Good points there Andy. As another example of how a model could possibly lose a point, or even a half point, I scored down a very nice model due to decals. The logo on the prop blades was inverted. A small point, I know, but a check of the original aircraft, and the 'normal' way a manufacturer's logo is positioned, would have prevented this.
Also, if the 'Finished' photos do not meet the requirements, and especially if they are of poor quality, where the subject is blurred, let alone lacking detail, then this will affect judging. Although the judges may check back in the build on certain details, it's the 'Finished' photos which are used for the final scoring, and nice, artistic shots might look good, but are NOT what's required for the judging process - these can be added later, as supplementary shots, as stated in the GB Photo requirements and the Rules.

Thank you and congrats to the other winners. Andy and Terry, I'm glad you made the above posts. It's nice to see what the judges are looking for. I've never been in any contests other than these group builds so I didn't really know how the scoring was done.

I also appreciate the posts. I usually see a lot of the issues with my models, and end up ignoring some ( :oops: ), but it's nice to have that refresher, since the last time I think I saw that stuff was way back when we started these!

Congratulations to Jeff, John and Glenn => amazing work :thumbright:
Congratulations to all participants and thank you those who voted.
Well done everyone :thumbleft:
And congratulations and thank you to Judges for their work and their patience :thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back