Wk. Nr. 550214, a Fw 190 A-6? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Henk

Master Sergeant
Feb 9, 2006
George - South Africa
Wk. Nr. 550214, a Fw 190 A-6 possibly flown by III./NJG 11 as it was fitted with a FuG 217 Neptun radar system. Formerly displayed in the UK but shipped to South Africa where it is now on display at the South African National Museum of Military History.

Any info on this plane anyone please. The Museum can not even help me more.

WkNr550214aFw190A-6possiblyflownbyI.jpg

The Fw190A-6 was produced by AGO in Oschersleben in mid of 1943.The aircraft was captured by RAF in Leck and was delivered to Farnborough from Szlezwik by the air on the 16th June 1945.She was a part of the exibition in Hyde Park in London and then was sent to the South Africa in October 1946.

Thanks mate, but did she see any action? She has special radar attached on the wing as you can see them sticking out, but the thing is that she must have had some more history to her.

It is very hard to say because I have had quite few infos on that.In one book it is stated that the plane could served like you posted above .Its cockpit indicates that she was equipped with FuG217 Neptun radar system but there are other traces of some other modifications.

Yes, and the gun pod under the wing is also not normal as the Museum staff said to me. She is lovely I saw her at the Military Museum in Johannesburg in 2002 and it was great, but it only had the info of the Fw-190 on the info board and that the bird was donated by the RAF.

It would be great to get the full story of the bird and the pilot/s who flew her during the war.

Yes, found that as well, but it seems they fitted everything again that it had when it was captured that the RAF removed. It was part of the Battle of Britain display and thus had to fit the part. The Me-262 there is also a great plane to see.

the a/c did not fly on operations ..........

it was a test bed and a failure for the underwing 3cm weapons pod. it also never flew with III./NJG 11 as the unit never had Fw 190's only Bf 109G's.

one of the great problems for the FW is the flying characteristics are quite altered with the hanging under the wing weapons pod. aerodynamics were flawed plus the decrease in speed

the a/c did not fly on operations ..........

it was a test bed and a failure for the underwing 3cm weapons pod. it also never flew with III./NJG 11 as the unit never had Fw 190's only Bf 109G's.

Thanks Erich, that is good to know. The gun pods actually looks cool on the aircraft it is a shame it was not a success.

Henk actually in the winter of 1944 Fw 190A-7/MK's were used in I./JG 11 with the enclosed outboard 3cm cannons to make frontal attacks on US bomber boxes, imagine having to get real close from the front to make the 3cm rounds hit.............ugh no thank you, too close for comfort for me.

there is no feasible reason to have the outside "hanging" weapons system to function as shown on the re-do at south Africa. I think the curators would probably disagree with me on my findings though, I have argued enough through individuals to them about red 8 the two-seater Me 262 night fighter as they say it flew in action on operations which it never did.

Yes, I know what you say Erich, but they look only cool. Red 8 is also a lovely aircraft, but the RAF took out a lot of the instruments that was inside her. I do not know who to believe, but Erich do you have any thing that you got to prove other wise?

yes, I'm helping write the story on Kommando Welter and the Moskito-jagd Henk thought you knew that

I knew about the book, me not thinking. :lol: I just wonder where the museum got their info from. How far are you guys with the book Erich, I will buy it when it comes out. Can you please send me some of the info you have on Red 8 and the Fw-190 that is at the Joburg Military Museum?

Henk, Red 8 is covered right now in a 3 inch thick folder and it needs to be gotten into and totally worked over, it's a huge mess.

really nothing on the Fw 190 with external 3cm except to say I have a write up from a German historian/friend that gave me some pretty complete details on the unit and what they tried to do...............the idea behind the radar unit and 3cm dual cannons was to have the radar blip the pilot at a certain striking range and the 3cm's would automatically fire. all the pilot had to do was secure target on his small round screen get in range and .........wham ! or so this is how the devices were suppose to work

Thanks Erich, that was interesting. Now you just made more want to get my hands on your book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back