Woljags' Avro Lancaster/Manchester/Lincoln/York/Shackleton - Personal Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

woljags

Staff Sergeant
Dec 28, 2010
maidenhead uk
Lancaster B1

Lancaster B1 test shot by frog

another of my very rare kits,this is one of the test shots made before the kit was released,i'm not sure all the parts are there as i can only find 3 props at the moment as the bag was split,this was released by frog in september1976, and in production for only 3 months so this must predate this slightly,pics to follow shortly

Last edited by a moderator:
bob566-1.jpg

bob567.jpg

bob568.jpg

bob569.jpg

bob570.jpg

bob571.jpg

bob573.jpg

bob572.jpg

i've made up the wings and painted the interior,the last couple of photos show my old stock RAF interior green

Looking good so far, and a nice rare kit. Note though, that the nose area forward from the nav position was matt black, to prevent glare, and the possibility of the light-coloured interior being spotted by a night fighter crew.

Cheers Terry i will change that,i was lucky enough back in the late 1980's to get inside the B.M.F Lanchester but only as far as the main spar so i was going on memory and didn't look it up

Last edited:
Got some pics of that one inside if you need them - made a AV production with the BBMF back in the early 1980s, so got around 300 transparencies!
EDIT: just thought, if you have a look at my Lanc build in the Bombers/Heavy Hitters GB, it might give you an idea of what it looks like up front, and what can, and can not, be seen once closed up.

Last edited:
that would come in handy for later as i have in my collection a modern bbmf kit ,i thought that i'd build them in the markings of when i helped out as ground crew for the West Malling and North Weald airshows of the late 80's,i think the lancaster was in the marking at time of Guy Gibson's G for George,one day i'll tell you the story of the ME163 we worked on

I've been looking at your Lanc build Terry and what a fantastic job you did of it,it has shown some faults with the frog kit ,ie the navagaters position,cockpit detail etc,all i have done for the moment is to use rubber bands to hold it all together so that i can add or change details as the info become available,i will try this time to build something like you do with the detail,it won't be anywhere near your league of build but i'll give it a go as this kit is so rare,i needed to make some parts anyway as its not complete,i would guess this must be one of the 1st from the new mould as there seem to be a few issues getting things to fit together properly plus lot of parts missing where they were not moulded correctly

this kit really is a bit of a challange in more ways than one,i've found a few more bits missing including the lower half of the elevators,there is also 2 extra parts from another small kits wings that i've seen before somewhere but can't remember now,this must have been kicking around in someone's office in the factory in Margate,pics to follow shortly

although this is suppost to be a B1 i think its more like a later model with B1 fittings,it doesn't look quite right to me

boy is this fiderly to build,i hope the kit itself was better,nothing fits correctly,there are loads of moulding defects,i tried to load some pics but they don't show the defects clearly enough,i will try again fingers crossed to take somemore

this is the progress so far,the front of the cockpit has been changed to the correct matt black colour,i had to make a replacement part for the tail plane as it was missing,the last couple of photos show just how bad the moulding is,the bomb bay doors will need recutting as they are nearly 6 mm out of line
bob599.jpg

bob589.jpg

bob590.jpg

bob580.jpg

bob594.jpg

bob609.jpg

bob596.jpg

bob581-1.jpg

bob584.jpg

bob616.jpg

bob620.jpg

bob621.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like that kit needs a lot of work, but looking good so far. I modeled the 1/72 Revell Lancaster Mk 1 recently. If you wanted to look it up it's in the Start to Finish Builds, page 5, "Still going Strong...". Cheers.

Two sites I found with very useful reference shots were,

i've now trimmed the bomb bay doors to fit and am at present doing lots of filling to get the profile right,pics to follow shortly once i've finished all the rubbing down

i've put this kit on the back burner for a while due to the amount of corrections i've had to do to the bomb bay doors,i think i've used more filler on this one than the last 10 put together

Users who are viewing this thread

Back