Women at Work - WW2 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pong

Staff Sergeant
Sep 2, 2007
Manila, Philippines
Here are some very interesting photos I got off a website (Shorpy) showing how women played a vital role in the assembly of aircraft and other war material during the Second World War.

dws9k4.jpg

16kxf1y.jpg

345kdgx.jpg

15e9qf9.jpg

10z0qdf.jpg

w6zitl.jpg

I think that's enough. Enjoy. :D

-Arlo

Last edited:
Thankfully, no. I'm trapped in the city, trapped in the filth of Manila. Though I hope the people in the provinces are O.K.

-Arlo

Thanks Arlo. Obviously specially posed compositions, but what beautiful quality. Can't beat good old Kodachrome - although they could be Ektachrome 4x5 inch plates.

a few B/W pics...

Attachments

• w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 238
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 186
  • w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 176
During WW-II my Mother worked for The Bethlehem Shipyard, at Sparrow's Point, Md. She was a burner/welder
and worked mostly on new construction. I don't recall her mentioning anything bigger than a destroyer, but I
know she worked her butt off. A lot of the workers in her crew were females.

Wonder where that last photo was taken. The gal on the extreme left looks like my Mom !!

Charles

Last edited:
My mom worked in a town built for the war called Ajax all the streets in the town are named for the crew of HMS Ajax from the Battle of the River Plate . She was making 25lb cannon shells

Attachments

• woman1.JPG
    woman1.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 83
  • woman.jpg
    woman.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 81

Users who are viewing this thread

Back