World War 2 Aero Engines (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Andrew

Airman 1st Class
Jan 30, 2004
Slough
To my knowledge there were 14 types of Aircraft that used the Rolls Royce Merlin Engine during the War. The Rolls Royce Merlin being used in some or all of the various Marks of Aircraft produced, these I think are

Spitfire/Seafire
Hurricane/Sea Hurricane
Fairey Battle
Bolton Paul Defiant
Fairey Fulmer
Mustang
Mosquito/Sea Mosquito
Hornet/Sea Hornet
Fairey Barracuda
Lancaster
Wellington
Beaufighter
Halifax
ME109 Bouchan

The Merlin Engine was used in just 1 Mark of the Beaufighter, Wellington and the Halifax, where the pilots of the said Aircraft reported better flight characteristics with 1 engine out, and they could fly at a higher altitude, but with the Bristol Hercules Engines the pilots said that they had higher speed at or near ground level, there was also a Mark of the Lancaster which were fitted with Bristol Hercules Engines.

Can anyone think of any more WW2 Aircraft that used the Rolls Royce Merlin?

Was there any other Aero Engines Produced that were used in as many different types of Aircraft as the Merlin?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Me-109 (With Merlin) was actually designated the Ha-1112 (Hispano-Built) Buchon. Just correction of a minor mistake. :D

The DB series of engines were used in a lot of aircraft, and so was the P&W R-2800 but I don't think they reached the levels of the Merlin.

i doubt anthing did, and there were many more experimental types that used it....................

To my knowledge there were 14 types of Aircraft that used the Rolls Royce Merlin Engine during the War. The Rolls Royce Merlin being used in some or all of the various Marks of Aircraft produced, these I think are

Spitfire/Seafire
Hurricane/Sea Hurricane
Fairey Battle
Bolton Paul Defiant
Fairey Fulmer
Mustang
Mosquito/Sea Mosquito
Hornet/Sea Hornet
Fairey Barracuda
Lancaster
Wellington
Beaufighter
Halifax
ME109 Bouchan

I forgot one Aircraft on this list
The Whitley
That makes it 15 in all

Andrew said:

Spitfire/Seafire
Hurricane/Sea Hurricane
Fairey Battle
Bolton Paul Defiant
Fairey Fulmer
Mustang
Mosquito/Sea Mosquito
Hornet/Sea Hornet
Fairey Barracuda
Lancaster
Wellington
Beaufighter
Halifax
ME109 Bouchan

I forgot one Aircraft on this list
The Whitley
That makes it 15 in all

and incase you haven't noticed they are all British planes (not american, british)

ok so i was wrong about ALL of them being british (the mustang is american) but the brits still flew in the mustang

And a major mistake: The Ha-1112 was Spanish not British. And the Bf-109 was German.

but with the Bristol Hercules Engines the pilots said that they had higher speed at or near ground level, there was also a Mark of the Lancaster which were fitted with Bristol Hercules Engines.

but the Mk.II lancaster was slower than the Mk.I/III...........................

2 more for the list:

Avro York
P-40 F/L (Packard Merlin, built under license)

That's 17, I think

Maybe it's wrong, but my reference has the first prototype flying on July 5, 1942 and the third prototype being used as a VIP transport for Churchill from 1943. BOAC had 5 of them in 1944 for use as transports between the UK and North Africa.

Lancs, I reckon you know way more about the York than I do, but just reading from the book, those 5 in the BOAC were production models (C.1s). But would they be considered civilian aircraft?? Hmm...

No doubt that the majority of Yorks were post-war, but I wonder if it's okay to sneak them on to the list anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back