World War II assault gliders

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think it was a lot longer then what some people think it was. The beginning was in Russia in 1932 with the G-32. Russia also produced and used the Yak-14 (I think was the last production assault glider - but could be wrong) as late as 1951 and they were withdrawn from service in the mid to late 50's. That's roughly a 23 year life.

I'm not sure why a purpose built suicide aircraft or a rocket fighter would not quality both of which were used in combat and had extremely short lives. Yes they could be built again, but so could assault gliders.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to have started a thread that I thought would be interesting and to me informative but that has turned out to be contentious and argumentative. I think I'll just check out here and go on my way.

I'm sorry to have started a thread that I thought would be interesting and to me informative but that has turned out to be contentious and argumentative. I think I'll just check out here and go on my way.

What is your problem? Stop being so sensitive about this. NO ONE is being argumentative with you or anything. This is a forum, where people discuss ideas and opinions and try to post facts to back up their opinions and ideas. You brought up a topic, and from what I am seen, people are trying to discuss your topic. They are not being argumentative or contentious or rude or anything like that! They are doing what you want them to!

I think it was a lot longer then what some people think it was. The beginning was in Russia in 1932 with the G-32. Russia also produced and used the Yak-14 (I think was the last production assault glider - but could be wrong) as late as 1951 and they were withdrawn from service in the mid to late 50's. That's roughly a 23 year life.

I'm not sure why a purpose built suicide aircraft or a rocket fighter would not quality both of which were used in combat and had extremely short lives. Yes they could be built again, but so could assault gliders.

But was the rocket fighter a major weapons system? And how many purpose built suicide a/c were made? Not many afaik, the Japanese mostly opting to strap a bomb to a Zero.

I am struggling to find a weapons system which was used in as large a scale as the assault glider for as short a time.

That was entirely insulting. Take your arrogance and go elsewhere. The internet is a big place. You won't be missed.

Would the barrage balloon as an anti aircraft weapon count? They were certainly massively employed in GB during WW2 but have not been seen since?

I am also unsure why 'assault glider' is a valid distinction when gliders themselves have been in constant use since Llliethal first jumped off a hill, but such as ' rocket fighter' is not?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back