World War pilot and his downed Lancaster bomber found in Germany (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Its great they found the bodies and will now properly bury them.

I wonder why an American was on the plane when it was lost?

Probably one of the 6000+ US citizens that stayed in the RCAF rather then join USAAF after Pearl

Type Lancaster
Serial Number JB221
Squadron 97
X1D OF-W
Operation Frankfurt
Date 1 25th November 1943
Date 2 26th November 1943

Further Information

"Serial range JA672 - JB748 This aircraft was one of 550Lancasters ordered from A.V.roe (Chadderton) late 1941 and delivered from Jun43 to Dec43 as Lancaster Mk.111s with Merlin 28 engines initially installed in early production, Merlin 28 or 38 engines in mid-production and Merlin 38 engines only on late production.

JB221 was delivered to 97 Sqdn 4Sep43. JB221 also took part in the Key Raid against Mannheim 23/24Sep43. No other Key Raids traced.

When lost this aircraft had a total of 77 hours.

Airborne 0030 26Nov43 from Bourn. Crashed at Brandau, 12 km SSW of Reinheim. At least five were buried at Brandau, although four, including F/L Brown, their American skipper, are now commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

F/L C.M.Brown Croix de Guerre (France) RCAF KIA
P/O G.Smith KIA
P/O T.Watson KIA
F/O H.C.Aley RCAF KIA
Sgt B.F.Tutt KIA
Sgt D.H.W.Little KIA
F/S R.W.Sinden RAAF KIA

Further information if any are interested.

Oblt. Eckart-Wilhelm von Bonin Stab II./NJG1 Lancaster Near Brandau, 12 km S Darmstadt: 6000 m. 02:45

97 Squadron Lancaster JB221

Source: Nachtjagd War Diaries Vol I by Dr Theo Boiten

Isn't that just amazing. Sometimes you think this world is getting so small. Especially Europe. Its just hard to believe that things like these are still found so long after the war.

Easier to understand in the Pacific theatre or the great expanse of Russia, but Europe? Wow!

May they rest in peace.

Isn't that just amazing. Sometimes you think this world is getting so small. Especially Europe. Its just hard to believe that things like these are still found so long after the war.

Easier to understand in the Pacific theatre or the great expanse of Russia, but Europe? Wow!

May they rest in peace.

Mike, the Ardennes Forest area still has many aircraft left to recover. A large number of Luftwaffe losses during Operation Bodenplatte have yet to be found. You should read John Manhro and Ron Putz's book "Bodenplatte: The Luftwaffe's Last Hope"

Ardennes Region

That said they're still digging them up from the Battle of Britain where I live...

Mike, the Ardennes Forest area still has many aircraft left to recover. A large number of Luftwaffe losses during Operation Bodenplatte have yet to be found. You should read John Manhro and Ron Putz's book "Bodenplatte: The Luftwaffe's Last Hope"

Ardennes Region

That said they're still digging them up from the Battle of Britain where I live...

Wow! And thanks for the book idea.

Wow! And thanks for the book idea.

A pleasure Mike. The book can be found fairly cheaply, I bought two, one for myself and the other for "Wurger" here on the forum. We both recommend it highly. John Manhro frequents certain aviation forums (he may well be a member here) so if you have any questions he's easy to contact. It is probably the definitive work on that operation.

If you have any trouble obtaining it drop me a pm.

Any particular myth? Each airfield attacked and the units of the LW enagaged in those attacks is given a seperate chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back