Worst aircraft of WW2? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Blacburn Botha has to be the worst, it was ugly and underpowered. It was supposed to be a torpedo bomber but it was so bad it never actually dropped one. It ended up being a target tug and trainer, even the trainee pilots thought it was a pile of junk

Breda 88. So underpowered it had to take off from a runway pointing in the direction it was to go, since it couldn't get high enough to dare banking!

R Pope said:
Breda 88. So underpowered it had to take off from a runway pointing in the direction it was to go, since it couldn't get high enough to dare banking!

The man has a point :lol: You would know from the size of he engines though :shock:

Still think the Roc was worse though...

The Battle, and even the Roc, were pretty good AIRPLANES, they just weren't very good WARPLANES. The Breda 88 was just plain lousy, it could barely fly, and Benito's bunch still put it into mass production. The last run of them went directly from the factory to the scrap heap!
As for limited production planes, I still vote for the Curtiss Caravan.

The thing that the Roc has going for it is that it was just built to a bad specification. The whole idea of a turret armed fighter was messed up (though I have to admit the designs produced between the world wars were interesting).

The Battle was obsolete by the start of the war. But then so was the TBD which would certainly have to be in the running.

What did the TBD do? Serve as fodder for the Zero's so the SBD's could blast the Japanese? Is that a compliment?

Lightning Guy said:
What did the TBD do? Serve as fodder for the Zero's so the SBD's could blast the Japanese? Is that a compliment?
Actually the TBD wasn't as bad as it is made out to be. In fact it was better than most torpedo bombers of the era.
It just gets a bad rep due to Midway ,when in fact any torpedo bomber attacking, against the odds they were facing, would have suffered the same fate.

It is true that the TBF and Marauder (both of which made torpedo runs at Midway) were both severly mauled.

Claiming that the TBD was one of the best torpedo bombers in the world at the time isn't saying much. What else was in the running? The Stingbag, the Abalcore, the B5N. That's about it.

And the TBD was that bad. Consider that clean it's top speed was a mere 206mph. When carrying a torp it was hard pressed to make 125mph.

Lightning Guy said:
IClaiming that the TBD was one of the best torpedo bombers in the world at the time isn't saying much. What else was in the running? The Stingbag, the Abalcore, the B5N. That's about it.

And the TBD was that bad. Consider that clean it's top speed was a mere 206mph. When carrying a torp it was hard pressed to make 125mph.
I'm not arguing that the TBD was a great aircraft, I'm just saying that it doesn't belong in the 'worst aircraft of WW2 thread'

ps, even though its top speed was only around 125mph with a torpedo, it would've still had to slow down to less than 100 mph on its torpedo run, any faster, and the torpedo would break-up on hitting the water :shock:

Adolf Galland said:
That is true, and if ur talking about the worst aircraft, it should be trainer aircrafts since that basically sucks in everything

Why...trainer aircraft arent supposed to be good in combat, theyre supposed to train pilots/gunners/navigators/radio operators, and thats what they did...

mosquitoman said:
That's why I think the Botha is the worst, it never even saw combat
I have a nice quote on the Botha
An RAF test pilot in his report after flying it, wrote,
" The cockpit is almost impossible to get into, it should be made impossible" :lol:

redcoat said:
Lightning Guy said:
Actually the TBD wasn't as bad as it is made out to be. In fact it was better than most torpedo bombers of the era.
It just gets a bad rep due to Midway ,when in fact any torpedo bomber attacking, against the odds they were facing, would have suffered the same fate.

It was a bit underarmed and underpowered though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back