Worst plane in its indended role(s) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Get a load of this one. Supposedly an He-177A-3 towing a aux fuel tank with undercarriage and wings. Never seen this before.

From avia.russian.ee

Attachments

• 234_12.jpg
    234_12.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 69
I think that is stupid. That would certainly effect the performance and maneuverability of the aircraft. Whoever came up with the idea was short a few screws in my opinion. That is if it is what I think it is...

The Arado234 was tested with the same concept of 'extra fuel tank': a V1 frame w/o engine (..and explosive!) filled with fuel and towed by a semi-rigid pipe that acted as fuel line.

I had a photo of it, I'post if I find it.

Don't believe that went beyond exeriment either.

Tests were succesful but in the end they decided that the conventional drop tanks were still better.

From airvectors.net:
Another odd development was the "Deichselschlepp", or "air trailer", in which a winged fuel tank with its own undercarriage would be towed behind the Ar-234, with a tube that provided both a linkage to the trailer and a fuel feed back to the Ar-234. Plans were made to similarly tow a Fieseler Fi-103 flying bomb (better known as the V-1 buzz bomb) or a winged SC1400 bomb. In the case of the Fi-103, it was decided instead to mount the flying bomb on a cradle on the back of the Ar-234 that would hydraulically lift the aircraft above the bomber before launch.

First configuration was called "Startwagen", the one with the V 1 on top was called the "Hukepack".

Kris

On the He 177:

During these operations, von Riesen's crews had little trouble from overheating engines. By now the various modifications had greatly reduced the possibility of this happening. Furthermore the root cause of so many of the fires - over-rough use of the throttles and holding high power settings for too long - was now well known; the K.G.I pilots had been advised of the danger and avoided it. When engine fires did occur, it was usually the result of engine mishandling by inexperienced pilots.

On June 23, 1944, the Russians did launch their offensive on the central front. The German forward positions were soon overwhelmed and the tank spearheads began to penetrate deeply into the rear. In desperation the He 177s were sent into battle as ground attack aircraft; but losses were high and in no way commensurate with the meagre success achieved.

THE FUEL FAMINE

By the summer of 1944, the He 177 was at last in operational service in useful numbers, and able to do useful work provided the defences were not overwhelmingly strong. It was then that fate dealt its final blow to the German long-range bomber. Since May the Allied bomber forces had concentrated their efforts against the German oil industry - with dramatic success. In August 1944, the production of aviation fuel was more than 90% down on that in May. Forced to drastically curtail its flying effort, the Luftwaffe immediately grounded its heavy bombers; soon afterwards production of the He 177 ceased, after 565 examples of the A-5 version had been completed. The crews of K.G.I flew their bombers back to rear bases in Germany, where they spent the remainder of the war parked out in the open; together with brand-new Heinkels similarly abandoned. They were to boost the scores of ground-strafing Allied pilots during the closing months of the conflict.

Probably the best He 177 article on the net: Aircraft Profile #234. Heinkel He 177 Greif
Kris

Tests were succesful but in the end they decided that the conventional drop tanks were still better.

From airvectors.net:
Another odd development was the "Deichselschlepp", or "air trailer", in which a winged fuel tank with its own undercarriage would be towed behind the Ar-234, with a tube that provided both a linkage to the trailer and a fuel feed back to the Ar-234. Plans were made to similarly tow a Fieseler Fi-103 flying bomb (better known as the V-1 buzz bomb) or a winged SC1400 bomb. In the case of the Fi-103, it was decided instead to mount the flying bomb on a cradle on the back of the Ar-234 that would hydraulically lift the aircraft above the bomber before launch.

First configuration was called "Startwagen", the one with the V 1 on top was called the "Hukepack".

Kris

Ofcourse traditional drop tanks are better. That big flying tank your hauling behind you will effect performance and maneuverabilty. It is a terrible accident waiting to happen.

Ofcourse traditional drop tanks are better. That big flying tank your hauling behind you will effect performance and maneuverabilty. It is a terrible accident waiting to happen.
Well... these towed tanks could carry up to 900 litres. I can also imagine them being used in combination with traditional drop tanks or with a bomb load.

Sometimes it's funny how you can talk about two different things and then suddenly they appear to have a connection. I present to you a He 177 with a strange object behind it :)

234_12.jpg

Kris

Still in one of its intended roles the He-177A was a candidate for worst aircraft due to its ability to catch fire. I am not doubting that it became a good aircraft, however most aircraft would be left out if we didn't look at the first versions of aircraft that could have needed work...

Well... these towed tanks could carry up to 900 litres. I can also imagine them being used in combination with traditional drop tanks or with a bomb load.

Sometimes it's funny how you can talk about two different things and then suddenly they appear to have a connection. I present to you a He 177 with a strange object behind it :)

234_12.jpg

Kris

Thats how we got on the discussion. Matt posted the same pic earlier.

Perhaps the Me-262 would had been one of them (before I start receiving attacks from everybody I'll finish the sentence) if the aircraft would had been emplyed as bomber like Hitler wanted instead of using it in the role is famous for, a deadly interceptor.

I do not think it would have been too bad as a ground attack bomber. It certainly would have been a waste, since it was needed as an interceptor much much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back