Would the Aichi D3A or Mitsubishi A6M Zero have an external or internal electrical battery to start its engine? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jeffkantoku

Recruit
Jun 9, 2022
What kind of electrical batteries were on a Japanese aircraft carrier in 1942?

What other kind of electrical batteries would be on a Japanese aircraft carrier in 1942?

Where could I find more information about this?

What other kind of electrical batteries would be on a Japanese aircraft carrier in 1942?

I believe it had a 12v 20A lead acid battery that powered an electric starter. I don't know if it had a plug for an external power source. We have a very knowledgeable Japanese member who might have some information. Shinpachi Shinpachi

Last edited:
Start engine!

Mr_T_Nakamura_starts_engine.jpg

Source: ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOSmb6PqpEo

Go to Tully's Port with this question. If anyone knows the answer to your question you'll probably find them there.

ETA: I see you've already done that.

Japanese loved the inertia for a fighter.
Frankly, I could not believe when I was a kid.

Demonstrating how to start engine with a N1K2-J replica at Uzurano
View attachment 673059
Source: ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRYrChFFv_8
Shinpachi! Thank you for all your helpful information. You've shown that inertia starters were used on fighters and fighter-bombers, but how about carrier bombers like the Aichi D3A?

Last edited:
Shinpachi! Thank you for all your helpful information. You've shown that inertia starters were used on fighters and fighter-bombers, but how about carrier bombers like the Aichi D3A?
As bombers didn't mind weight so much as fighters, the D3A was equipped with a motorized inertia (starter) like these diagrams.

Motorized inertia (starter)
Model1&2_motorized_inertia.JPG

D3A engine control diagram
D3A_engine_control.JPG

As bombers didn't mind weight so much as fighters, the D3A was equipped with a motorized inertia (starter) like these diagrams.

Motorized inertia (starter)
View attachment 673396

D3A engine control diagram
View attachment 673397
very helpful, Shinpachi. Thank you! But what powered the motorized inertia starter? Was it an onboard battery or external plug?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back