Wrecked French Navy Hellcats (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Techos forwarded me these pictures. Here is his response when I asked for his permission and more information: (sorry about the size)

"My permission ? Yes of course,the man who gave it to me will be OK anyway. His dad was a mechanical crew chief on the carrier deck "La Fayette". Pics were taken during the 50's , but he did not mentioned if it was during the Indochina war. If you look attentively the first one,the pilot,in the plane ( in the elevator) seems to be dead !"

Attachments

• Hellcat%201F5.jpg
    Hellcat%201F5.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Hellcat%201F15.jpg
    Hellcat%201F15.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 272
  • Hellcat%201F22%20bis.jpg
    Hellcat%201F22%20bis.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Hellcat%201F22%20ter.jpg
    Hellcat%201F22%20ter.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Hellcat%201F22.jpg
    Hellcat%201F22.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 214
Last edited by a moderator:
any ideas what the little man emblems under the bombs (first pic) mean?

Ah. Looks like there was no forward momentum, very minimumal damage to the aileron and the elevator is typically located starboard aft, so would have been out of the "normal" landing and behind the barrier. Looks like a handling accident and the pilot is checking electrical/fuel settings to avoid a possible fire.

And that's my version of unreality based upon a fraction of a second snapshot in the fog of war. :dontknow:

Ah. Looks like there was no forward momentum, very minimumal damage to the aileron and the elevator is typically located starboard aft, so would have been out of the "normal" landing and behind the barrier. Looks like a handling accident and the pilot is checking electrical/fuel settings to avoid a possible fire.

And that's my version of unreality based upon a fraction of a second snapshot in the fog of war. :dontknow:

Yes, and if you look closely, it looks like the shoulder straps of his harness are hanging outside of the cockpit. It looks like he was in the process of unbuckling. Not something a dead man would do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back