Wright R-1820 "K-type cooling fins"

Trilisser

Airman 1st Class
262
24
Joined
May 22, 2011
The description of the R-1820 in Jane's AWA 1953 volume says it has "K-type cooling fins" on the cylinder barrel. The 1946 Jane's mentions "W-type cooling fins". W-type finning was described in various wartime aviation/engineering journals (like Flight), but I have not found anything on "K-type finning". Anyone knows about it?
 
I rechecked the JAWA 1952-53 and indeed "K-type fins" are mentioned in the descriptiona of "R-1300 Cyclone 7" and "R-1820 Cyclones 9". It says the fins are inserted into grooves machined in barrel. Just like the W-fins.
 
I would wager it's a typo. Unless I came up with something new at the very end of its life.
 
DSCF3473.jpg
 
That kid's touching the cauldron paddle!
He is holding the bat at the wrong end, obviously knows nowt about cricket, a complete heathen
 
We would just catch crickets with our hands.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back