ww2 glider invasion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sunny91

Video Extraordinaire
Apr 2, 2005
Good clip about the invasion by glider.. good music..

Sunny

Attachments

• gliderinvasion.wmv
    16.7 MB · Views: 49
Hi Sunny,

>Good clip about the invasion by glider.. good music..

Indeed! :)

Is the painting at the end showing Pegasus Bridge? I thought I had seen a sketch of the attack with the gliders landing onto the far meadow and in a direction that would be towards the observer in this painting ...

"Pantechnicon" - wow, learned a new word, too :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• 638px-Pegasus_Bridge_1944.jpg
    638px-Pegasus_Bridge_1944.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 63
Hi Sunny,

>HoHun it seem that you are right! i found this:

Great picture, thanks! :)

But I was right only with regard to the name of the bridge - the gliders in the background indicate that the did indeed approach as shown in the painting, so I was wrong in the main point!

(Just off the photograph to the right is what today is known as "Pegasus Café", visible in the painting on the far bank. Micdrow posted an article from Flight about the wife of the Café owner welcoming the commandos with kisses right after they had secured the bridge, with somewhat comical results as they had camouflaged their faces with dark paint that rubbed off on her :) I looked for the article but couldn't find it, maybe because it was just the beginning of an article starting on the last page of the article Micdrow had actually in mind, so "Airborne" doesn't show up in the topic title.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back